Felted-Wool Santa Pillow
This cozy pillow is whole lot of fun to have sitting on a sofa or bed. Layers of felted wool bring Santa to life, and clear seed beads add a little sparkle to his cap and bushy beard.
What You Need
- Freezer paper
- Felted wool: two 14-x-14-inch squares of light blue, one 13-x-16-inch piece of white, one 5-x-9-inch piece of peach, one 5-x-8-inch piece of red, one 1-1/2-x-8-inch piece of olive, one 3-inch square of gold, and scraps of black
- #8 pearl cotton: peach, black, red, and light blue
- Polyester fiberfill
- Disappearing-ink marker
- Sequins: red and iridescent silver
- Clear seed beads
continue reading below
How to Make It
Cut the Felted Wool
- Position the freezer paper, shiny side down, over the patterns.
- Trace the patterns the number of times indicated.
- Cut out the shapes on the traced lines.
- Using an iron, press a freezer-paper shape, shiny side down, onto the front of the respective fabric; let cool.
- Cut out the shape along the pattern edges. Peel off the freezer paper.
Applique the Pillow
- Position Santa's beard and hat on the pillow front; tuck the face behind the beard.
- Pin and baste these pieces in place with sewing thread.
- Pin the cheeks, eyes, eyebrows, and nose pieces on the face.
- Temporarily place the mustache and hair pieces on the face to check the placement of the facial features, adjusting the positions as needed.
- Remove the mustache and hair.
- Sew the inner edge of the beard to the pillow front with peach running stitches, securing the face at the same time.
- Attach cheeks with peach running stitches, stuffing each lightly with fiberfill before completing the stitching. Use black to blanket-stitch the eyes to the face.
- Attach eyebrows with peach running stitches. Use peach to blanket-stitch the outer edges of the beard to the pillow front.
- Lift up the bottom of the nose to reposition the mustache over the cheeks; tuck the mouth under the center. Attach the mustache with peach running stitches, securing the mouth with the stitches.
- Attach the nose with peach running stitches, stuffing it lightly before completing the stitching.
- Position the hair fringe to overlap Santa's face and beard; baste the top edge in place.
- Blanket-stitch red along the edges of the hat and about 1 inch inside the hat on the left side to resemble a bend.
- Blanket-stitch red along the top edge of the green hat cuff. Position the hat cuff on the hat and attach the bottom edge with red running stitches. Remove the basting stitches.
- Freehand-draw strings from the tip of the hat with a disappearing-ink marker.
- Embroider the strings with red stem stitches and add lazy daisy stitches at the ends. Attach the point of a gold star to each string with a red French knot.
- Add a red sequin to the center of each star. Note: To attach a sequin, thread a beading needle with sewing thread. Bring the needle from the wrong side of the fabric.
Finish the Pillow
- With wrong sides together, pin the pillow front to the pillow back.
- Use a 1/2-inch seam allowance to machine-sew the front to the back, leaving an opening for stuffing. Stuff the pillow with fiberfill and sew the opening closed.
- Add blush to Santa's cheeks and nose, up through the sequin, thread on a seed bead, and return to the wrong side of the fabric through the sequin.
- Add the remaining star to the hat cuff with a red sequin.
- Use the disappearing-ink marker to draw curls on the beard and mustache.
- Stem-stitch the drawn lines with light blue. Scatter iridescent silver sequins along the curls and in the hair fringe.