What You Need:
- Tracing paper or copier; pencil
- Scraps red and green felted wool (Note: Wool must be at least 80% wool to felt properly. Wash wool in hot water in washing machine. Dry in hot dryer. Press if desired.)
- Red and green metallic embroidery floss
- Matching sewing thread
- 7 gold glass seed beads
- 1-1/2-inch pin back
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- Trace or copy patterns. Cut one small bract pattern (top layer) from red felted wool and one large bract pattern (middle layer) from red felted wool. Cut one green leaf pattern (bottom layer) from green felted wool.
- Download stitch diagrams. Using one strand of red metallic embroidery floss, sew center leaf vein lines using a stem outline stitch on center of red wool piece. If you pull the decorative stitches fairly tightly, the wool piece curls slightly. Sew vein lines on middle red wool piece in the same manner. Using one strand of green metallic embroidery floss, sew vein lines on green leaf piece of wool.
- Layer the three pieces of wool, staggering bracts over leaves. Using red sewing thread, make a couple of stitches in the center to secure pieces together. Sew seven gold glass beads in center of top wool piece. Sew pin back across back of green wool piece.