- 12x14-inch piece of even-weave cotton fabric: white
- Water-soluble marking pen
- Embroidery floss: green, red, and gold
- Embroidery hoop and needle
- Coins: half-dollar, quarter, nickel, and dime (for pattern templates)
- Fabric scraps: assorted red, green, and teal prints; one gold print
- 1/2-inch square buttons: teal
- 3/8-inch-diameter buttons: red
- 1/2-inch-diameter buttons: green
- Frame with a 7-1/2×9-1/2 inch opening
1. Enlarge the downloadable pattern onto white paper; do not cut out. Tape pattern to a sunny window or light box. Center white fabric over pattern and tape in place. Trace pattern onto fabric using a water-soluble marking pen.
2. Use three strands of floss for all embroidery. Secure the fabric in an embroidery hoop and embroider words using green stem (outline) stitches.
3. Using coins as pattern templates, draw around coins on assorted fabric scraps. Cut out. Cut a 1-inch square from gold print fabric for a tree trunk. Referring to the photo, fill tree shape with fabric circles, attaching circles with red or green floss and French knots, straight-stitch stars, or with square buttons on top. In spaces between circles, sew French knots with green floss and attach red and green buttons with matching floss. Whipstitch tree trunk in place with gold floss. Frame the finished piece.