Easy-to-Make Snowflake Blanket
Dress up a ready-made afghan with felt snowflakes. This cozy throw is great for a guest room or ideal to give as a heartfelt Christmas present.
What You'll Need
- 4 yards each of four different blue ribbons, such as 1/4-inch velvet, 1/4-inch light blue grosgrain, 3/8-inch medium blue grosgrain, and 1-inch gray-blue grosgrain
- 54x60-inch purchased plaid afghan
- Sewing machine and color coordinating thread
- Fusible-web transfer paper
- 1/4 yard each of 36-inch-wide wool felt in white and blue
- Paper punch
- Novelty metallic threads
How to Make It
1. Download and print the free snowflake patterns.
2. Topstitch two rows of ribbons horizontally and vertically along the plaid lines of the afghan, leaving space between them.
3. For each snowflake, fold a square of the fusible-web transfer paper in half twice. Trace the desired number and size of snowflakes onto the fusible-web paper aligning folds. Fuse to wool felt following the manufacturer's instructions; cut out.
4. Use a paper punch to create extra holes in the snowflakes.
5. Fuse the snowflakes to the afghan. Zigzag-stitch novelty threads as desired on snowflakes to secure them to the afgan.