Easy Ornament-Trimmed Tree Skirt
Have yourself a merry little Christmas with an easy custom tree skirt that simply bubbles with style.
What You Need
- 72-inch-wide felt: 4 yards of pink and 1/4 yard of white
- 9-x-12-inch felt rectangles: purple, turquoise, violet, and white
- 1 1/4 yards of string
- Lightweight paper-backed fusible web
- Die-cut machine and ornament die cuts (optional)
- #5 pearl cotton: cream, purple, pink, green, and turquoise (We used DMC Ecru, Purple #208, Pink #335, Green #701, and Peacock #807.)
- Tracing paper
- Medium-weight cardboard
- Kreinik #16 medium braid: Silver (001)
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Cut the Tree Skirt Top and Back: Cut a 72-inch square of pink felt for the skirt top. Fold the square into quarters. Tie one end of the string to a ballpoint pen. Pin the other end to the folded corner opposite the cut edges, keeping 35 inches of string between the felt corner and the pen. With the string fully extended, draw an arc on the felt. For the tree-trunk opening, shorten the length of string to 6 inches; draw a second arc on the felt. Cut through all felt layers on the marked lines. For the center back opening, cut through one fold from the outer edge to the tree-trunk opening. Cut a matching back from the remaining pink felt.
- Prepare and Fuse the Ornaments: Use a pencil to trace the ornament patterns as many times as desired onto the paper side of the fusible web, leaving 1/2 inch between shapes. Cut the shapes apart, leaving some excess web around each shape. Following the manufacturer's instructions, fuse the shapes to one side of the 9-x-12-inch felt rectangles; let cool. Cut out the shapes on the traced lines. If you're using die cuts, fuse a 9-x-12-inch piece of web onto one side of each felt rectangle and cut the shapes with a die-cut machine and ornament dies. Position the ornaments on the skirt, leaving room to embroider hooks. Fuse the pieces in place.
- Embroider the Tree Skirt: Blanket-stitch along the edges of the ornaments with pearl cotton. Trace the hook pattern onto tracing paper; cut out. Trace the shape onto cardboard and cut out. Transfer the hook shape onto the skirt at the top of each ornament with a ballpoint pen. Chain-stitch the hooks with silver braid.
- Add the Scallop Trim: Cut four 1-1/2-x-72-inch strips of white felt. Trace the scallop trim pattern from the Pattern Pack onto tracing paper; cut out the shape. Trace the shape onto cardboard and cut out. Position the cardboard pattern at one end of a felt strip, aligning the long straight edge of the pattern with one long edge of the strip. Use a pen to trace the curved edge of the pattern onto the felt strip. Reposition the pattern as needed to draw scallops along each of the felt strips. Cut on the drawn lines. Pin the scallop trim to the right side of the skirt, aligning the straight edge of the trim with the outer edge of the skirt and avoiding the seam allowances at the center back opening; trim the excess. Sew the trim to the skirt with a 1/2-inch seam allowance.
- Assemble the Tree Skirt: With right sides together, pin and then sew the skirt top and back together using a 1/2-inch seam allowance and leaving an opening for turning. Trim the corners; clip curves. Turn the skirt right side out; press, turning in the seam allowances at the opening. Sew the opening closed.