Crochet a Candy Cane Gift Topper
Trim your tree or your gifts this holiday season with a fun and easy crocheted candy cane topper.
What You Need
- 100% mercerized cotton -- white thread: 400 yds. (366 m); colored thread (red): 350 yds. (320 m); bedspread weight
- Size 2 (2.5mm) steel crochet hook OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGE
- Blunt-end yarn needle
- Optional finishing supplies: ribbon for ties or hanging loops; 3/4-inch magnet button; fast-drying glue
How to Make It
With A, ch 9; sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across -- 8 sc; ch 1, turn. Work 5 more rows of sc with A. (Join B and work 2 rows of sc; change to A and work 6 rows of sc) 3 times. *Change to B and work 2 rows of sc. With A (sc in first 4 sts, ch 1, turn; sc in same 4 sts, ch 1, turn; sc in next 4 sts, sc in 4 sts 2 rows below; ch 1, turn. Sc in 8 sc, ch 1, turn) 3 times; do not ch-1 at end of 3rd rep. Rep from * 2 more times; fasten off.
With B and RS facing, work 3 sc in sc at end of last A row; work 6 sc along straight edge of rows; 3 sc in corner, sc in every other row along inner edge of 3 short rowed sections; sc evenly along edge of next 4 sections; work 3 sc in corner st. Work 6 sc across foundation ch; 3 sc in corner; sc along rem straight edge and curved sections; join with sl st to first sc; ch 1, turn. Sc in each sc around, working 3 sc in each corner sc and working sc in every other sc along inner curve of Candy Cane; join with sl st to first sc; fasten off.
- Weave in loose ends.
- Use the piece to cut a shape from white felt.
- Glue felt to back.
- Tack package ties or a hanging loop to the back, or adhere a magnet button.