What You'll Need:
- 1-1/2 yards of 45-inch-wide linen
- Iron-on interfacing
- Assorted red fabric scraps
- Fusible web (we used Bondaweb)
- Water-soluble pen
- Red embroidery floss
- Assorted red and green buttons
- Sequin (for bird's eye)
- Curtain rod for hanging
- 2 yards of 1/2-inch-wide red satin ribbon
How to Make It:
- Prepare the Pieces: For the calendar, cut two 25x30-inch rectangles of linen and one 25x30-inch rectangle of interfacing. For the pockets, cut twenty-five 4-1/2-inch squares from linen and red fabric scraps. Following the manufacturer's instructions, iron fusible web to the wrong side of the red patterned fabric. Trace the pocket appliques onto tracing paper; cut out. Trace and cut out the shapes from red fabric scraps. Trace the stitching patterns onto tracing paper. Tape the patterns to a sunny window or light box. Place a linen pocket over the desired pattern and trace the pattern with a water-soluble pen.
- Embellish the Pockets: Remove the paper backing from the fusible web and, using the photo as a guide for placement, position the appliques on the pockets and iron them in place. With two strands of red floss, use running stitches to embroider the bird, star, and snowflake outlines and backstitches for the numbers. Make a French knot for one bird's eye, and sew on a sequin for the other bird's eye. Embellish the snowflake and tree appliques with buttons.
- Assemble the Calendar: Stitch 1/4-inch hem around each pocket. For the calendar front, pin the pockets in place on one linen rectangle. Stitch around three sides of each pocket, leaving the top edge open. For the calendar back, remove the paper backing from the interfacing rectangle, place over the remaining linen rectangle, and iron in place. With right sides together and using a 1/2-inch seam allowance, sew the front to the back, leaving a 4-inch opening on one side for turning. Turn right side out and steam-press. Topstitch around the calendar 1/8 inch from the edges, closing the opening as you stitch. Cut out a linen casing to accommodate the curtain rod, and sew it across the top of the calendar.
- Finish the Calendar: Slip the curtain rod through the casing. Tie one end of the ribbon to each end of the rod. Fill the pockets with treats.