Make a Cheerful Snowman Pillow for Christmas
Sew this cheery felt snowman pillow to use as a festive Christmas decoration
Share your take on this idea!
Upload your photo here.
Upload your photo here.
What You Need:
- Felt: 1/2 yard each of blue and white, 1/4 yard each of black and red, and scraps of green and orange
- Pinking shears
- Tracing paper
- Matching sewing threads
- Fabrics glue
- Embroidery thread: blue and pearl (We used DMC embroidery thread: Jewel Effects #E825 Blue and Pearlescent Effects #E3747 White.)
- Embroidery needle
- Polyester fiberfill
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- Use pinking shears to cut two 18-inch blue felt squares for the pillow front and back and one 18-inch white felt square.
- Cut away a 13-inch square from the center of the white square, creating a 2-1/2-inch-wide border frame.
- Trace the patterns from the pattern pack onto tracing paper; cut out the shapes.
- Use the patterns to cut the pieces needed from the indicated color of felt. Refer to the photograph to position the felt pieces and as a guide for embroidery.
- Sew the felt pieces to the pillow front about 1/8 inch from the edges using matching thread, unless otherwise indicated. Pin the white frame on one blue square for the pillow front.
- Position and sew the head on the pillow front. Arrange the black hat top, green hatband, and black hat brim on the pillow front.
- When you're pleased with the positioning, remove the brim and band and sew the hat top in place. Reposition and sew the band, followed by the brim.
- Position the red scarf, scarf knot, mitten, and cuff on the pillow front, tucking the bottom edges under the white frame as needed. Sew the pieces in place.
- For the scarf, stop sewing the long edges about 1/2 inch beyond the inner edge of the white frame. Sew the nose on the face; glue on eyes and mouth shapes.
- Using an embroidery needle, embroider blue snowflakes on the white frame and white snowflakes on the blue background.
- Center the appliqued pillow front on the pillow back.
- Sew the pillow front to the back 1/2 inch from the inside edges of the white frame, changing the thread color as needed and leaving a 7-inch opening at the bottom.
- Stuff the pillow with fiberfill and sew opening closed.
- To finish pillow, cut slits 3/8 inch apart, starting at the end of scarf and ending 1/2 inch from stitching. Position and glue the letters on the pillow front as shown with fabrics glue.