Make Stamp-and-Stitch Christmas Cards
Create personalized Christmas cards from card stock that¿s embroidered to resemble your favorite holiday accessories.
What You Need:
- Art Impressions rubber stamps: Hat T3436 and Mitten P3453
- Black ink pad
- Card stock: red and blue
- White card stock (for the hat card only)
- Crafts glue
- Cork or plastic foam (as a piercing pad)
- Pushpin or T-pin (as a piercing tool)
- Embroidery floss: white and red
- Needles: embroidery and large-eye tapestry needle
- Adhesive tape
- 1/8-inch hole punch
- 1/4 yard of 1/8-inch-wide white ribbon (for each card)
- 2 blue beads (for the hat card only)
- Two 5x61/2-inch folded white cards
- Snowflake-pattern paper
- Corner-rounding punch
- Adhesive foam tape
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- Stamp the hat: Ink the stamp and press the image one time onto each color of card stock. Let dry. Cut out the hat from the red card stock. Cut out only the pom-pom from the white card stock and only the brim from the blue card stock. Glue the white pom-pom and the blue brim to the red hat. Place the hat on the cork or plastic foam and pierce the dots using the pushpin or T-pin.
- Stamp the mittens: Ink the stamp and press the image twice onto both the red and blue card stock. Cut out each mitten from the red card stock. Cut out only the cuffs from the blue card stock, and glue them to the red mittens. Pierce the dots on the mittens as directed above for the hat.
- Stitch the cards: Use three strands of embroidery floss for all stitching. Tape the beginning and ending threads of the floss on the wrong sides of the hat and mittens.
- For the hat: Using white floss and a running stitch, embroider around the earflaps. Using red floss, embroider cross-stitches across the brim, ending with a straight stitch at each end. Using white floss, embroider cross-stitches on the hat.
- For the mittens: Using red floss, embroider cross-stitches across the cuffs, ending with a straight stitch at each end. Using white floss, embroider running stitches on the seam lines. To embroider each snowflake on the mitten fronts, use white floss and three crisscrossing straight stitches.
- Add the ribbon: For the hat, Use the hole punch and make a hole at the circle on each earflap. Cut the 1/4-yard ribbon in half and bring one length through an earflap hole from the back to the front, taping the ribbon end on the back. Thread the loose ribbon end onto a tapestry needle and add a bead onto the ribbon; knot the end of the ribbon and secure the bead with a dab of glue. Repeat for the other earflap. For the mittens, cut a 6-inch length of ribbon and glue each end to the back of a mitten.
- Assemble the cards: For each card, cut a 43/4x61/4-inch piece from red card stock, and glue it to the front of the white card. Cut a 41/2x6-inch piece from the snowflake-pattern paper and round the edges with the corner-rounding punch. Attach the patterned paper to the front of the card. For the hat card, attach the hat to the card with adhesive foam tape. For the mitten card, glue one mitten to the card. Using adhesive foam tape, attach the second mitten, overlapping the first. Tack the ribbon to the card with glue.