Embossed Metal Gift Tags & Ornaments
These tags and ornaments draw inspiration from Mexican traditions, as well as the bold colors of art from the country.
What You Need:Distinguish your gift tags with this sparkling idea.
- 36-gauge aluminum tooling foil (from a crafts store)
- Steel wool
- Tissue paper
- Crafts sticks
- Wooden skewers
- Small plates or pot lids
- Decorative-edge scissors, such as scallops or waves (optional)
- Paper punch
- Ribbon or rickrack
4. To make tooling sticks, cut crafts sticks to a point or a flat end; leave others curved. Use these and the skewers to emboss the lines. The skewers will make narrow lines; the flat craft sticks will make broad ones; and the sticks with curved ends will make wider; curved lines.
5. Place the tooling foil on a pad of newspapers. Lightly trace all pattern lines onto the foil with a skewer. Use a ruler to make straight lines, trace around a small plate or pot lid to make circles. (For name tags, leave the centers of the piece plain; use the skewer to write the name on the tag.)
6. Use the tooling sticks from Step 3 to trace over the pattern lines. To make raised lines, work from the back of the piece. To make indented lines, work from the front. (Ornaments and gift tags will be more interesting if you use some of each.)