Hi everyone! It’s Jocelyn over at Grandbaby Cakes, and I am ready to share the perfect burger for your summertime grill: Italian Sausage Pizza Sliders! My husband’s all time favorite food is pizza. We eat it at least once a week. From take-out and dine-in at Chicago’s best pizzerias (We have the best pizza! No contest New York!) to my fabulous homemade pizza recipes inspired by our trip to Naples, Italy last year, there is no shortage of pizza creations to indulge in.
Recently, I started playing around with pizza flavors to my summer grilling creations. I knew I had to make a pizza inspired burger. I saw this incredible recipe for Italian Sausage Sliders on BHG that was aching for my Fourth of July grill fest last week. This would be the perfect slider to experiment with adding fun pizza and Italian flavors to. And boy was I right!
I made the following slight changes and additions to the recipe to create these Pizza Sliders:
- I pretty much followed the recipe to a tee and only replaced the sausage with turkey sausage and the ground beef with ground turkey for a healthier option.
- I opted to grill the patties instead of cooking them on the stove top. I loved the classic smokey flavor and char that grilling gave these sausage sliders. So good!
- Next I gave a fun twist to the slider buns. I sliced the buns and brushed them with this BHG Grilled French Bread mixture recipe and grilled them for just a few seconds to add gorgeous grill marks and additional flavor. These buns were out of this world.
- Then I topped each sausage patty with 1 tablespoon of my favorite pizza sauce warmed up a bit, a slice of mozzarella cheese, two turkey pepperoni slices, a sprinkle of oregano and 1 fresh basil leaf. I warmed the topped patty on the grill until the cheese melted down and became gooey delicious.
- Lastly, I topped each perfect pizza patty on a garlic butter grilled slider bun and ate to my heart’s content.
These were so delicious and reminded me of eating dinner in my favorite pizzeria. Since my husband’s pizza addiction makes him one harsh critic, I knew his comments would mean the most. He gave this recipe top marks and even asked for these to go on our next grilling menu. I guess you can say this was a great success! Score!
I don’t know what it is about the first of October, but right now life seems to be moving faster than a leaf spiraling to earth. Maybe it has something to do with the holiday season on the horizon, pressure to finish up outdoor projects, and trying to savor the fleeting beauty of fall.
With all that’s happening this time of year, I’m always looking for quick, easy, and hearty recipes. One of my favorite simple meals is pasta, but that can get boring. So of course, I was delighted to discover this recipe for Farfalle with Mushrooms and Spinach in BHG’s collection of 20 Healthy Dinner Recipes Under $3. Ding, ding – I think we found a winner!
Even though this recipe had all the elements of a fabulous meal, I wanted to amp up the hardiness a bit. While more vegetables or garbanzo beans would have done the trick, I ultimately decided to toss in some three cheese Italian style chicken sausage.
Not only did the sausage make this pasta more filling, it added a wonderful flavor and spiciness to the dish, making it perfect for a fall dinner. Hearty and warm but still healthy and super simple.
You can find the recipe for this Farfalle with Mushrooms and Spinach here. While it’s delicious on its own, have fun changing it up to suit your tastes or mood.
Happy cooking and happy fall!
Michael Wurm, Jr. – Inspired by Charm