Quesadillas were my go to meal in college. Can you blame me? They are fast, easy and oh so delish! I couldn’t get enough. My favorite recipe combined both pepper jack (for a spicy kick) and cheddar (sharp to be exact). Those two cheeses melted between two buttered quesadillas was all I ever craved.
Now that I’m older, I still love my quesadillas but with more unique flavors. These Shrimp Fajita Quesadillas were a brainchild that started with this easy yet delish classic quesadilla recipe from BHG.com . I just punched up the flavor a bit more.
Here are the changes I made:
- I omitted the chile peppers, green onion and bacon and replaced with peppers, onion and shrimp.
- I diced a mix of green, red and yellow peppers along with onion equaling a full cup.
- I sauteed the diced peppers and onion until tender with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Next I added half a package of fajita mix to the peppers and onions and also 1/2 pound of deveined and peeled shrimp and cooked until they were cooked through.
- I used pepper jack cheese in place of colby cheese as stated in the recipe.
- Lastly, I used butter to coat the pan instead of non-stick spray since I just adore the taste of butter so much but non-stick spray is totally fine.
These are sensational and party favorites for sure. While these shrimp fajita quesadillas reminded me of my college days, I am definitely more impressed that I have graduated to this flavor.