Teri Lyn Fisher is a photographer whose work has appeared in Rue, Anthology, and HGTV Magazine. A graduate of Le Cordon Bleu, Jenny Park is a food sytlist, recipe writer, and professional eater. Her clients include Kellogg’s, HGTV and Del Taco . Together, Teri and Jenny love to fill their blog Spoon Fork Bacon with recipes, drinks, and pretty pictures. They live in sunny Los Angeles.
When summer rolls around there is nothing we love more than making sweet cold treats. We love this recipe because it marries sweet with salty. Why candied bacon?…why not?…right?!
Salted Caramel and Candied Bacon Ice Cream
Makes 1 quart
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 lb bacon, cooked and roughly crumbled/chopped
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
ice cream base:
2 1/3 cups heavy cream
1¼ cups whole milk
5 egg yolks
¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ¼ cups sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
¾ cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 recipe ice cream base
1. Place the butter in a medium sauté pan, over medium heat and melt. Add the bacon and stir. Sprinkle both sugars over the bacon and continuously stir until the sugar melts, about 5 to 7 minutes.
2. In a single layer, pour the bacon onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside to cool.
3. For the ice cream base: Pour cream and milk into a saucepan and bring up to a scale (medium heat).
4. Place the egg yolks and sugar into a stand mixer and whip until light yellow and fluffy. Pour ½ cup of the scaling cream mixture into the yolk mixture and whisk to prevent scrambling.
5. Pour the yolk mixture into the saucepan with the remaining cream and milk, whisking to prevent scrambling. Turn the heat down to medium-low and stir continuously until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Stir in the vanilla extract and strain through a fine sieve.
7. Pour the mixture into a bowl and place over an ice bath and set side until fully chilled. Once the ice cream base has completely chilled, make the salted caramel.
8. For the salted caramel: Place the sugar, water and Karo syrup into a saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Do not stir.
9. Once the sugar melts and becomes an amber color, 10-15 minutes, remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the cream (be careful, the mixture will bubble up). Stir the sea salt and vanilla into the caramel and stir until smooth.
10. Pour the mixture into a bowl and place over a water bath until completely chilled.
11. Stir the chilled ice cream base and salted caramel together, into a large bowl until completely combined.
12. Set up the ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions and freeze the ice cream. Ten minutes before the ice cream is ready, pour the candied bacon into the churning ice cream. Once the ice cream has reached the desired consistency serve or place into an airtight container until ready to use.