Door County Cherries!
Quiz time! What fruit is high in antioxidants, melatonin, and has pain relieving properties? If you guessed tart cherries, you are right. In addition to their numerous health benefits, tart cherries are delicious! I discovered this firsthand in gorgeous Door County, Wisconsin.
During my time in Door County, we were immersed in the sweet, tart flavor of Montmorency cherries and all the delicious ways you can enjoy them.
For amazing fresh cherries, check out Seaquist Orchards and their extensive market of all things cherry. My personal favorite – the spicy cherry salsa. I loved grabbing a pail and picking my own cherries at Orchard Country Winery and Market. Be sure to stop and enjoy a glass of cherry wine.
Country Ovens, is a family owned and operated business that specializes in Cherry De-Lite dried cherries and boy, are they good. The dried cherries were plump, sweet, and even better when coated in a thick layer of chocolate.
My favorite way to enjoy tart cherries? In a glass. The cider at Island Orchard Cider is easily the best I’ve ever had. If you’ve never had Normandy-style cider, you’ll discover it is dry, crisp, and refreshing. Worth a visit – or two. Craving a good drink and a gorgeous sunset? Head to Fred & Fuzzy’s Waterfront Bar and Grill for a delicious cherry margarita. I also loved the local smoked fish pate.
If you’re in the mood for sweets, don’t skip Sweetie Pies – they are baking up homemade pies in over 30 varieties. Yum! For breakfast, head to White Gull Inn for cherry stuffed French toast. Good Morning America crowned it Best Breakfast in America in 2010. It was amazing. For a true slice of Door County, be sure to check out a fish boil and cherry pie at the Old Post Office.
A few other places I loved?
- The retro-vibe and welcoming staff at Rowley’s Bay Resort. Be sure to stop by the Swedish Bakery for cardamom coffee cake.
- Sweet frozen custard at Not Licked Yet Frozen Custard. Its creamy texture is the stuff dreams are made of.
- The charming Savory Spoon Cooking School. I wish I lived closer so I could take class after class.
- Check out Carrington Pub and Grill at dusk for cherry crisp and a gorgeous sunset.
- Enjoy a classic soda fountain and tasty cheese curds at Wilson’s Restaurant and Ice Cream Parlor.
If you’re looking for a family-friendly vacation spot with top-notch food and amazing cherries, head to Door County, Wisconsin.