I am in love with New Orleans style food but the truth is, I have never visited the city! I really hope to change that in the next year. In fact, by making creole inspired dishes like this New Orleans BBQ Shrimp and Grits, I feel like I’m magically transported there which certainly helps in the meantime.
New Orleans food just has such great flavor as evidenced in this delicious recipe. When I saw this New Orleans Inspired BBQ Shrimp recipe on BHG, I knew I just had to make it! And what better way to eat this dish than with a nice creamy bowl of grits.
I have been the biggest fan of shrimp and grits for as long as I can remember. There is something so incredible about plump shrimp sauteed in a spicy savory sauce on top of a bowl of luscious grits. I have tried some amazing renditions of this classic everywhere from Washington DC to Atlanta but I long to try it in New Orleans. However, this recipe was a hit in my house and gave me just the fix I needed.
I made the following slight changes and additions to this recipe:
- I added a 1/2 teaspoon of hot sauce to the bbq shrimp while it cooked. I personally love heat but this is totally optional for those who stay on the safe side.
- I also added 1/4 cup of diced tomatoes and some bacon bits which I crumbled from 3 slices of cooked bacon.
- Then I boasted the flavor with a touch of cream (about 1-2 tablespoons) which also thickened the sauce that naturally develops.
- Next I added the shrimp on top of a nice bowl of quick cooking grits which I made according to the instructions but added 1/4 cup of half and half, 3 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and salt and pepper.
- Lastly I garnished the bowl with some freshly diced green onions and parsley.
The results were so flavorful and comforting that it only made me want to hop a plane to New Orleans right then and there. If you are like me and can’t wait to visit New Orleans, this meal will definitely keep you satisfied in the meantime.
10 Responses to “ New Orleans BBQ Shrimp and Grits ”