Hi everyone! It’s Jocelyn over at Grandbaby Cakes, and I am ready to share the perfect burger for your summertime grill: Italian Sausage Pizza Sliders! My husband’s all time favorite food is pizza. We eat it at least once a week. From take-out and dine-in at Chicago’s best pizzerias (We have the best pizza! No contest New York!) to my fabulous homemade pizza recipes inspired by our trip to Naples, Italy last year, there is no shortage of pizza creations to indulge in.
Recently, I started playing around with pizza flavors to my summer grilling creations. I knew I had to make a pizza inspired burger. I saw this incredible recipe for Italian Sausage Sliders on BHG that was aching for my Fourth of July grill fest last week. This would be the perfect slider to experiment with adding fun pizza and Italian flavors to. And boy was I right!
I made the following slight changes and additions to the recipe to create these Pizza Sliders:
- I pretty much followed the recipe to a tee and only replaced the sausage with turkey sausage and the ground beef with ground turkey for a healthier option.
- I opted to grill the patties instead of cooking them on the stove top. I loved the classic smokey flavor and char that grilling gave these sausage sliders. So good!
- Next I gave a fun twist to the slider buns. I sliced the buns and brushed them with this BHG Grilled French Bread mixture recipe and grilled them for just a few seconds to add gorgeous grill marks and additional flavor. These buns were out of this world.
- Then I topped each sausage patty with 1 tablespoon of my favorite pizza sauce warmed up a bit, a slice of mozzarella cheese, two turkey pepperoni slices, a sprinkle of oregano and 1 fresh basil leaf. I warmed the topped patty on the grill until the cheese melted down and became gooey delicious.
- Lastly, I topped each perfect pizza patty on a garlic butter grilled slider bun and ate to my heart’s content.
These were so delicious and reminded me of eating dinner in my favorite pizzeria. Since my husband’s pizza addiction makes him one harsh critic, I knew his comments would mean the most. He gave this recipe top marks and even asked for these to go on our next grilling menu. I guess you can say this was a great success! Score!
2 Responses to “ Italian Sausage Pizza Sliders ”