Kick up a classic summer side dish with this quick and easy recipe for Italian Fruit Salad paired with buttery pound cake croutons.
The official first day of summer may still be a few weeks away, but I’ve decided to get a headstart on my lineup of warm weather side dishes, beginning with this fresh and flavorful Italian Fruit Salad.
The classic dish gets a welcome update thanks to a tangy balsamic dressing, but I couldn’t let the deliciousness stop there. I’ve added an indulgent twist to this summer salad in the form of toasted pound cake croutons. Intrigued? Read on for the recipe!
There are no rules when it comes to mixing and matching the components of fruit salad, so feel free to use whatever fruit you have on hand or that is nearing its peak in terms of ripeness. I’ve added blackberries to the original fruit salad recipe, however raspberries, strawberries or even pomegranate seeds would be welcome additions to pair with the fresh basil.
And this is when the dish goes from a basic fruit salad to a taste bud-bursting dessert. Cue the pound cake croutons! Here’s the setup:
- Dice your favorite homemade or store-bought pound cake into 1-inch cubes
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Once the butter has melted, add 2 cups of the croutons to the pan, tossing to combine
- Transfer the croutons to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake them at 375ºF for 8 to 10 minutes until they’re golden brown and toasted
All that’s left to do is add the croutons to the bowl of fruit, drizzle on the balsamic vinegar and honey, then toss, dish out and dig in!
Are you ready to give your fruit salad a dessert-inspired makeover? Then grab the pound cake and preheat your oven for Italian Fruit Salad.
- Kelly Senyei, Just a Taste
2 Responses to “ Italian Fruit Salad ”