Hi Guys! I’m Gaby from What’s Gaby Cooking and I’m so excited to be posting over here on the BHG blog Delish Dish today! Better Homes and Gardens has been my go-to magazine for years now. I can remember paging through the issues as a kid when my mom subscribed so I’m jazzed to be here myself.
With summer in full swing I am fully prepared for some serious al fresco dinner parties! It’s one of my favorite parts of this time of year and I take full advantage of it as often as possible.
One of my favorite things to make for these kinds of parties is a simple main course like these Zucchini Noodles and Grilled Shrimp with Lemon Basil Dressing. Might sound complicated – but it’s beyond delish!
The lemon basil dressing is one that you can make a double or triple batch of, and then use it on just about anything for a few days after! The almonds give it a nutty depth of flavor and it’s quickly going to become your go-to dressing for basically everything!
The zucchini noodles are light, refreshing, healthier than the average pasta and bright and colorful! And the grilled shrimp is cooked to perfection and gives every bite an extra pop of flavor! What’s not to love?
Whip this up next time you’re entertaining and I know your guests will be impressed!
Zucchini Noodles and Grilled Shrimp with Lemon Basil Dressing
Lemon Basil Dressing:
2 cups basil, stems removed (packed)
1/3 cup sliced almonds, divided
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 shallot, roughly chopped
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup olive oil, plus more as needed
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 lemon, zested
Zucchini Noodles and Grilled Shrimp:
1 pound shrimp (26 – 30 count, peeled and de-veined)
5 medium-sized zucchinis
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- In a high powdered blender combine basil, 1/4 cup sliced almonds, garlic, shallot, red pepper flakes, 1/2 cup olive oil, red wine vinegar and lemon zest. Pulse on medium until evenly combined and smooth. Season with salt and pepper as needed and set aside.
- Place the remaining almonds in a small skillet over medium high heat to toast. Shake pan every few seconds, until the almonds turn just golden brown. Remove almonds from heat and set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook shrimp for 6 – 8 minutes until fully cooked and pink, and add two heaping spoonfuls of the lemon basil dressing into shrimp and toss to combine. Transfer seasoned shrimp to a clean bowl and set aside.
- Using a mandolin or vegetable spiralizer, cut zucchini into thin spaghetti shaped noodles. Add zucchini noodles to the same pan used for the shrimp and sauté for 1 – 2 minutes over medium heat until just tender. Season the zucchini noodles with salt and pepper and then toss with an additional two heaping spoonfuls of the lemon basil dressing. Turn heat off. Reserve any extra lemon basil dressing for another use.
- Toss seasoned shrimp with the zucchini noodles and cherry tomatoes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Top with the toasted sliced almonds. Serve immediately.