Hello! I’m Jennifer Farley, the creator of Savory Simple, and I’m happy to be guest posting for Better Homes and Gardens. My blog focuses on quality ingredients, bold flavors and recipes with a gourmet twist. I recently shared a recipe for grapefruit pie that was very well received so I’ve decided to keep going with that theme. For today’s post I’ve created grapefruit bars by adapting this Better Homes and Gardens recipe for strawberry-lemon bars. You’re going to love them.
I absolutely adore grapefruit. I can’t say I’ve ever tried a citrus fruit that I didn’t love, but to me there’s something especially wonderful and unique about grapefruit. I love assertive flavors and grapefruit packs an extra level of sweetness that’s counterbalanced by just the right amount of bitterness. But for some reason it’s not used nearly as often in recipes as lemons, limes and oranges. I’m here to change that!
These grapefruit bars are incredibly easy to make. The bottom crust layer is a rich, flaky shortbread. The top layer is delicate and sweet with just the right amount of grapefruit flavor.
I made several changes to the strawberry-lemon bars recipe:
- I added a pinch of salt to the crust layer. Simply add it in while stirring together the flour and powdered sugar.
- I replaced the 2 teaspoons of finely shredded lemon peel with 2 teaspoons of finely shredded grapefruit peel.
- I replaced the 3 tablespoons of lemon juice with 1/4 cup of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice.
- I added 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice along with the grapefruit juice since grapefruits are slightly sweeter and less acidic.
- To balance the additional juice, I added 1 additional tablespoon of all-purpose flour for a total of 3 tablespoons.
- I omitted the baking soda.
- I omitted step 3 and all of it’s corresponding ingredients (strawberry jelly, lemon juice, strawberries) entirely.
- In place of the strawberry topping, I added a light dusting of powdered sugar.
If you love grapefruit as much as I do, you’re going to love my version of grapefruit bars based off Better Homes and Gardens’ Strawberry-Lemon Bars. Enjoy!
6 Responses to “ Grapefruit Bars ”