The countdown to Valentine’s Day is on! We may be just 48 hours away from the most romantic day of the year, but that doesn’t mean those who are menu-less (or Valentine-less) need to panic. I’ve got dessert covered with this quick and easy recipe for Chocolate Pillows topped with a sweet and tangy cherry port sauce.
These crispy wonton pockets are filled with bittersweet chocolate then deep-fried to golden brown perfection. Have a fear of frying? Kick those concerns to the curb with my essential deep-frying do’s and don’ts:
- DO use a deep-fry thermometer to accurately gauge the temperature of the oil and to know the optimum moment when to add foods to the oil
- DON’T overcrowd the pan with food items or you’ll risk dropping the temperature of the oil so much that the foods won’t cook fast enough (Result: soggy fried foods)
- DO choose an oil with a high enough smoke point, such as canola oil or vegetable oil, and avoid extra-virgin olive oil
- DON’T leave any water near or around the pot of boiling oil or, if the two meet, you’ll end up with a spitting, splattering pot of hot oil
- DO have a paper towel-lined plate ready to transfer the fried items onto after they’ve been cooked
Ready to woo your Valentine with these hot, crispy, chocolate-stuffed sweets? Gather your ingredients and bring the oil to a boil for quick-fix Chocolate Pillows.
- Kelly Senyei, Just a Taste
8 Responses to “ Chocolate Pillows ”