let’s party: rosemary roasted nuts
Hello! Kathryne from Cookie and Kate here. If you are on the hunt for a Super Bowl snack with incredible flavor and redeeming nutritional properties, these Rosemary Roasted Nuts are it! This recipe is proof that sometimes a little butter and sugar go a long way.
The recipe is as simple as can be. First, you transform an assortment of raw nuts into fragrant, toasty nuts during a brief stint in the oven. Then, you melt some butter and mix in some herbs, spices, sugar and salt. Once you combine the nuts with a trifecta of salty-sweet-spicy flavors, they become truly irresistible.
BHG’s recipe for Rosemary Roasted Nuts is pretty much foolproof, but I have a few cooking notes to share now that I’ve made a batch. For starters, buy quality, raw nuts from stores with a high turnover rate (those bagged nuts in average grocery stores are almost always turning rancid). Freshly toasted nuts are infinitely better than store-bought roasted nuts. Feel free to change up the nut varieties, but beware that very small nuts may toast more quickly than larger nuts while they’re in the oven.
Don’t try to brown the butter with the sugar and spices; mine got a little clumpy, but it was absolutely delicious nonetheless. Lastly, I added a final sprinkle of sea salt after tossing the nuts with the butter spice mixture, which transformed the nuts from really good to woah.
- 1 1/2 cups whole unblanched almonds
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts and/or pecans
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a 15x10x1-inch baking pan, mix together all of the nuts. Bake about 12 minutes or until toasted, stirring halfway.
- In a small bowl combine rosemary, brown sugar, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir in melted butter. Drizzle butter mixture over nuts, tossing gently to coat. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Serve warm or cooled to room temperature. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Find BHG’s original recipe for Rosemary Roasted Nuts here.
One Response to “ let’s party: rosemary roasted nuts ”