Written on May 10, 2013 at 3:00 pm , by Kate
It’s a common dilemma when decorating a bedroom space, what thing or object or accent is the right choice for that space above the bed? In my master, I’ve chosen option number one, but there are nine other ways to get creative with that zone above the headboard or bed frame.
1) Mirrors A popular choice for their sculptural or textural frames that act as a focal point above a bed, mirrors also have the benefit of reflecting light around the room.
2) Artwork Large scale paintings are a perfect jumping off point for a bedroom’s palette and also provide a serene backdrop.
3) Folding Screens Intricately carved or detailed folding screens can replace the headboard – use them to make a dramatic statement in a bedroom.
4) Fabric Beautiful fabric frames a bed and adds both softness and pattern to a sleeping space.
5) Framed Photography or Prints Use a series of prints or black and white photographs to turn the bedroom into a mini art gallery.
6) Decorative Plates Whether your style leans colorful and eclectic or traditional, plates are another way to add movement and pattern.
7) Wallpaper Modern wallpapers were made popular once more a few years ago, continue the trend in your bedroom by choosing a soft botanical or graphic geometric. Paper one wall, the entire bedroom, or simply a small section above the bed.
8) A Cornice or Canopy This traditional treatment is a way to use fabric to envelope and separate the bed from the rest of the room.
9) Window Panels For those whose bedrooms don’t have the luxury of a blank wall or prefer the natural light above, placing a bed under a window is another way to frame it in soft fabric panels.
10) Nothing A statement bed or headboard can speak for itself and needs no embellishment above. Suspend a dramatic light fixture above the bed instead!
Or choose nothing at all to give the eye a place to rest.
What decor is hanging above your bed at home?
Have you chosen to keep it blank, or are you still on the hunt for that perfect focal point?