designing around a television
Last week, I placed a spotlight on televisions over the mantel as a practical design solution for including televisions in your home’s space planning. As promised, I rounded up another group of solutions for designing around a television that do not involve a fireplace as a combined focal point. Here are five great ideas!
1. The Media Unit. One of the most popular solutions for incorporating a television into everyday life is a with a media unit. Whether it’s a freestanding piece or built-in shelving and cabinetry, a unit designed with entertainment in mind is always a smart choice. There’s an added bonus gained storage that accompanies, for books, decorative objects, and favorite movies or games.
2. The Console. Less bulky than a media unit is the alternative solution of mounting a flat screen above a console. While the television takes up most of the space on the upper portion of the wall, down below there is storage for video equipment and other family necessities.
Choose a console that complements the style of your home, whether it’s traditional, cottage, or modern, and remember that layers of pattern, color, and texture in a space will help detract from the big black box!
3. The Niche. This option requires advance planning, but if you’re working on a new build or remodel and want to include a place for the television, consider a recessed niche as a way to use architecture to create a frame for the television.
4. The Shelf. Smaller screens easily fit inside shelving units, especially those that are open in the back, and layering stylish objects on other shelves gives equal emphasis to meaningful decor. Smaller screens can also be used on counters in a laundry room or kitchen to entertain while you cook and clean.
5. The Gallery. If you seek to minimize the dominant effect of a television in your space, one of my favorite ideas it to curate a collection of favorite artwork around the screen. This solution allows for both entertainment and the injection of your personality through a display of personal artwork or photographs in a main living space.
What solution have you come up with in your home to design around your television?