Written on April 4, 2013 at 4:00 pm , by Kate
With spring’s arrival and fair weather on the way, now is the time to think about sprucing up your home’s exterior and increasing its curb appeal. Whether you’re staying put or planning on selling, there are several ways to beautify your home with weekend DIY projects and investments that add value. Here are ten ways to spruce up your casa so that it shines bright in the neighborhood.
1. Paint Your Front Door. In a sea of standard white front doors, make yours stand out by painting it a hue that complements your home, an easy weekend DIY project if you follow these simple steps.
2. Create a Welcoming Path. If cement is underfoot on the path to your door, consider upgrading to a wide stone, brick, or curved cobblestone, or adding a hardscape in a tiled design to welcome visitors to your door.
3. Upgrade Your Garage Door. Standard doors can be predictable, consider installing unique garage doors that add architectural style to your home’s exterior.
4. Clean and Repair. Stains and cracks on a driveway are an eyesore so pick up kits at the home improvement store that remedy the problem. Clean gutters and power wash your home to remove debris for a sparkling facade.
5. Add Architectural Details. It’s the details that make a home stand out on the street where you live, consider investing in architectural details such as an arbor over the garage to add dimension, or framing with shutters for windows with classic appeal.
A wrap around picket fence plus arbor adds a charming first impression.
6. Light it Up. A lighted driveway or path to your door makes your home welcoming in the evening hours, and also deters any trips and falls that can occur at night. Hardwire low voltage lighting or purchase hiqh quality solar versions that can be staked in the ground.
7. Upgrade Sconces, Hardware, and/or Address Numbers. If your lighting is ho hum or your numbers are invisible from the street, make a statement by replacing them with choices that give you greater impact, and showcase your style and personality.
8. Green Up the Front Yard. Landscaping is an investment but you’ll reap every dollar spent in increased value to your home. Consult with your local nursery for tips on the best trees and perennials to plant that will frame your home with greenery.
9. Layer With Pots & Planters. Show some love to the immediate porch area by adding colorful pots of annuals, or small trees or choose classic terra cotta or wood stained planters to frame the walkway and front door.
10. Welcome with Seating. Set up a place to sit for a spell on your front porch for passing neighbors – invite them to join you for a chat or a glass of whatever you’re serving.
Transforming the front exterior of your home from ordinary to extraordinary takes time and investment, but it pays off when those who pass by do a double take to admire the efforts made, and when you feel comforted by its appearance as you pull into the driveway each day.
What changes have you made to your homes exterior to increase curb appeal and make it a home sweet home?
6 Responses to “10 Ways to Increase Curb Appeal”