10 Festive Fall Porch Accents
‘Tis the season to festoon our fall porches with the abundant accents that the harvest season brings. Autumn offers us a chance to change up the decor on the front porch to welcome friends and neighbors during this favorite time of year. If you’re looking for inspiration for ways to embellish your entry in original ways, consider these ten festive ideas for adding seasonal accents to your fall porch!
1. Tiered Pumpkins. A fall porch isn’t complete without a pumpkin or two. Whether placed along the path or layered in an urn, stack these favorite fall accents vertically for a dramatic effect.
2. Extra or Unexpected Orange Accents. You’ve got the pumpkins, now think about the extras! Incorporate additional decor in shades of orange to complement your pumpkins such as pillows, end tables, colorful chairs, and paper lanterns!
3. Leaves and Branches. With all the changing leaves around town, consider clipping a few branches from a tree that can spare them and display their vivid colors with your pumpkin collection.
4. Cornstalks. Straw bales and dried cornstalks herald in the fall when grouped together, and they also add natural and neutral texture to any front porch scene.
5. Mums. The flower of the fall season here in the USA is the gorgeous chrysanthemum! Available in shades of vivid yellow, orange, purple, and deep red, mums are the perfect flowering perennial to complement your fall porch arrangement, and especially stunning when displayed in repetition.
6. Gourds and Kale. Fall is a wonderful time of year to grow kale, a colorful cabbage with showy leaves. Pair the edible vegetable with gourds for an unexpected display on your porch and the added bonus of extra vitamins ready for your soup pot or sauté pan!
7. Rakes. Homeowners all across the country own rakes for gathering and disposing of growing piles of fall leaves, so why not use them for a pretty purpose instead of practical one? Flip them upside down as a shelf for mini pumpkins, or insert leaves, cornhusks or berries into their teeth!
8. Old Wheelbarrows. Harvest time necessitates a wheelbarrow for bringing in the bounty. Pause it and park it next to the doorstep as a reminder of autumn’s abundance.
9. Other Fall Hues. So many think to decorate during the fall with the color orange, and naturally so, because we think first of pumpkins and changing leaves. But there’s no rule that says fall decor must incorporate orange at all times. Aubergine and green are equal players in the fall color palette and two hues I used on my fall porch this year (seen below) and another porch vignette photographed for Better Homes & Gardens.
10. Halloween Haunts. Jolly jack-o-lanterns! Trick or treat warnings! Yes, October 31st is just weeks away, and a few haunted embellishments are always a fun way to express your spooky side on the porch this time of year.
Autumn is nature’s grand finale and now more than ever is the time to embrace the season! Whether you decide your porch scene will be effortless or more elaborate, I do hope you’ll enjoy each lovely moment that fall brings.
6 Responses to “ 10 Festive Fall Porch Accents ”