Written on August 13, 2012 at 11:00 pm , by Kate
Back-to-school days are here again, and as the mom of two kids in elementary school, it’s important for me to feel prepared on Day One. I’m spending some time getting organized for the big day coming up next week, tackling the kitchen junk drawer and readying the family computer armoire that also functions as a study station.
With homework and school projects looming, I started organizing school, home, and office supplies and in the process, compiled ten clever ways to corral all that small but oh-so-necessary stuff we need at home.
1. Ready and Waiting. A colorful drink caddy serves up back-to-school readiness instead of refreshments when the glasses are used to store pens and office supplies.
2. Mess-less Muffin Tins. No need to bake with this clever solution to use a muffin tin as a drawer compartmentalizer to hold all those things that without it get lost at the bottom.
3. Clever Caddy. A shower organizer is easily reinvented as a creative storage solution for correspondence and wrapping supplies.
4. Old Is New. Think outside
the bed the box by repurposing an old crib spring as a bulletin board using hooks to keep small keepsakes or reminders on display. Couple it with old metal graters transformed into utensil holders.
5. Divide and Conquer. Tackle that junk drawer once and for all with dividers to save time and prevent anxiety when you need stamps, batteries, or other tiny yet useful supplies right away.
6. Think Clearly. Glass jars are available for purchase in office supply or craft stores and they provide attractive uniform storage for open shelving. Their clear glass makes finding all things office quick and easy, from paperclips to thumbtacks.
7. Over Easy. Sometimes the cheapest solution is the smartest! After you’re finished with eggs, paint the carton a fun shade and reuse the container for all those teensy tiny things that manage to get lost, including keys, coins, or mini clips.
8. Container Chic. Tin cans and paint buckets wrapped in colorful scrapbook papers or fabric become inexpensive stylish holders for pencils, pens, or paintbrushes.
9. Task-It Basket. A woven basket utensil divider isn’t just for forks and knives, it’s the place to gather phones, keys, wallets, and sunglasses.
10. Culinary Cleverness. Small baking pans are just shallow enough to slide inside a desk drawer, and so perfect for avoiding clutter by keeping smaller office necessities from blending together in an useless pile.
Funny how so many kitchen or culinary tools are suited so well for small supply storage! Are you in the process of back-to-school readiness? What tips or tricks can you share for organizing school or office supplies?
9 Responses to “Ten Ways to Organize the Small Stuff”