Written on June 30, 2012 at 10:00 am , by Kate
Fabric is one of the easiest ways to refresh a room and reflect your personality inside your home. Fabrics bring beautiful pattern indoors, add interesting texture, soft comfort, and instantly establish the mood of a space. Here are ten tips for decorating with textiles around the home!
1. A no fail way to decorate with fabric is to stick with one color and layer it around the room, like the shams, bed skirt, and complementary block print style paisley duvet in this serene green bedroom space.
2. Solid color fabrics are an easy choice for bringing softness and color to your home. Opt for accessories in the form of pillows and an area rug in the same hue to pull the look together.
3. If you love a bold pattern but don’t want it to overwhelm, then use it smaller doses like these breakfast nook chairs.
4. Colors that sit next to each other on the color wheel share undertones and naturally make a good pair like these blues and greens. Layer florals, geometrics, solids, or stripes in the same dynamic duo.
5. Mixing large and small scale patterns from same color palette creates a harmonizing medley. Many textile designers create their collections with this very idea in mind.
6. Let a bold patterned textile determine the palette of a space and pull other solid colors from that fabric to use around the room.
7. Keep the space light and bright with plenty of white and let snazzy modern pillows introduce color and pattern to the room.
8. Sticking with neutrals makes it easy to layer soft colors on top of one another like these shades of tan, taupe, charcoal, and blue. Start with solid furnishings then add a pillows which possess the underlying neutral colorway in their pattern.
9. Choose a statement fabric for your window panels then be bold! Use that intense hue from the chosen pattern in furnishings and repeat it on the walls.
10. Think outside the box when looking for patterns to use around your home. Vintage fabrics, store bought tablecloths, or even clothing can be reinvented to suit your purpose like this grain sack upholstered headboard.
Most importantly, make it fun! Mix several favorites to suit your style, and reflect your personality and love of color and texture. On the hunt for some fresh fabrics for your home? This list of online home decor fabrics will get you started!
8 Responses to “Ten Tips for Decorating with Fabric”