Now that spring is here, what better way to take advantage of the nice weather than to enjoy a cup of coffee (or wine) out on the balcony. Balconies are an extension of the home, and can provide a peaceful place to grab a bite to eat or a quiet location for curling up with your favorite magazine.
I am excited to partner with IKEA to share a variety of exciting ways to stylishly maximize a small balcony area, to ensure you are able to truly enjoy your outdoor living space while the weather, and the wine, is good!
1. Select small scale furniture that is big on comfort. Oversized lounge chairs can quickly eat up limited balcony living area, so select pieces that are compact and can be sweetened by adding a throw cushion or two. Folding chairs that can hang in-between uses are extremely beneficial when space is tight, while outdoor cushions can triple as seating, a footrest or a table when paired with a tray. Another space saving solution is to utilize storage benches, which not only offer seating, but double as a place to stash away seasonal outdoor supplies.
2. Pull inspiration from your favorite street-side cafe and look for small bistro tables that are sized perfectly to hold dinner for two.
3. Rolling carts are always a good idea, especially when it comes to outdoor entertaining. Although your table may be on the smaller side, roll out a small cart stocked with beverages and snacks or throw blankets and games for a perfect afternoon outside.
4. Take advantage of the area’s vertical space with the help of slender cabinets and shelving. Adding a cabinet to your balcony can provide you quick access to gardening supplies, grilling tools, outdoor serving pieces and seasonal textiles. The shelves can display greenery and lanterns day-to-day, and then set up as a serving station while hosting a few friends for dinner.
5. Add life in the form of plants and herbs. By adding a few planters or a trellis, you are able to create some natural privacy for your balcony. Even if you live in the middle of a big city, planters and table top green houses make it easy to add some vegetable and herb plants to your balcony, and your home cooked meals.
For more inspiration, visit the IKEA Spring brochure.