Now + Next
What’s hot now:
I am totally in love with the brass movement that we’ve been seeing lately. It’s mostly in lighting, hardware and frames. Adding brass and gold in a modern space can immediately create a chic look. These brass cord lights seen on The Brick House are perfectly stylish for any space.
1. Color! I’m predicating that we are going to embrace more color this year. Bright and bold as well as soft and serene. Also neon, which has been seen here and there, will come back around, I hope!
Via Design Files.
2. Along with the color movement will be the black and white revival. People are wanting clean, serene spaces and there is nothing that says clean like a minimalist black and white space.
Via A Merry Mishap.
- Trend I’d Lose: Damask and Chevron. Both have been over used and over played.
- Blog I’m Loving: Sfgirlbybay has always been a fave of mine. Victoria gets better and better and never loses inspiration.
- Person I’m Following: Zooey Deschanel is a doll face.
- Show I’m Watching: I weep every time I watch Parenthood but I still just can’t get enough of it!
- Store I’m Shopping: I mostly shop online but when I’m out and about, I visit Anthropologie for candles and homeware. I also shop some of our local consignment and thrift shops.
- Color I’m Coveting: Charcoal grey.
- Accessories I’m Adding: For myself, it’s all about vintage watches. For my home, I’ve been obsessed with brass book ends.
-Kirsten, Simply Grove
For the next few weeks we’re celebrating the New Year with a series of posts on home decor trends inspired by the January Now + Next issue of Better Homes and Gardens! Check out the January issue on newsstands now, plus stay tuned for Style Spotter trend posts from our fabulous contributing bloggers!
What’s Hot Now:
Mixing patterns! Polka dots with plaids, stripes with paisley, the more the merrier! I think it creates a fun and casual space while still feeling very intentional and designed.
1. I really hope to see a movement toward this concept of designing with the things YOU love: using pieces that you have collected and cherish, regardless of whether they are trendy or in style. I also think it’s important to realize that design is a process. A room or space doesn’t just happen; it takes time to build and create.
2. In addition to personal designs, I’m also hoping to see more designs that are bold and courageous. I love trendsetters and designers who push the boundaries a little bit to create interesting, but still beautiful and comfortable spaces.
- Trend I’d Lose: Chevron – As much as I love this pattern (I have it in my house.), now that it’s everywhere – and I do mean everywhere – I’m ready to move on.
- Blog I’m Loving: There are too many to count, though, one of my favorites is Bright Bazaar from the amazingly talented Will Taylor.
- Person I’m Following: The Beekman Boys, Josh and Brent, are all over my radar these days. They have accomplished so many incredible things over the past few years. Their talents are endless and inspiring!
- Show I’m Watching: Two of my favorite shows are Modern Family and The New Normal. Both are hilarious, and the homes are gorgeous. It’s always fun to see how a space is actually lived in.
- Store I’m Shopping: I’m loving West Elm these days. They have such a beautiful mix of modern and traditional pieces and accessories. Plus, I’m so happy to see them embrace some brighter colors!
- Color I’m Coveting: A golden yellow has quickly become one of my favorite colors.
- Accessories I’m Adding: For me, it’s all about vintage accessories or pieces that tell a story or have meaning
- Michael Wurm, Jr. – Inspired by Charm