Hi everyone! It’s Lauren Liess of Pure Style Home. I’m a DC-based decorator who loves to keep things simple, relaxed, and natural. I recently decorated the 2015 BHG Innovation Home, and today I’m popping in to share a few of my favorite tips for giving your home a ‘natural’ edge with a few sneak peeks from my new book, Habitat: The Field Guide to Decorating.
1. Incorporate natural, textural materials into your decorating. Natural materials, such as natural woven rug and roman shades, wood, and natural fabrics like linen, hemp and cotton make a room feel more ‘touchable’ and relaxed. They bring a natural warmth to a space.
2. Gather, Collect & Display. Take walks whenever you can and pick up what’s around you and bring it inside to display. My kids love to hunt for natural objects, be it at the beach or a walk around the neighborhood. A simple acorn becomes a treasured object when displayed on the wall in vintage printers’ trays.
3. Plants Add Life to a Space. There’s something about a shot of living green in a home that makes it feel fresh and lively. Enliven a tranquil color palette with bright green fern or easy-to-care-for succulents.
4. Cut Greens Make a Simple Statement. Even when there aren’t any flowers in bloom or you’ve killed off your houseplants (like I tend to do every now and then!) cut greens from outdoors can bring a bit of nature and life into the house. I like to display them in little vases throughout the house and especially love varieties that will take root and live for months.
5. Focus on the Views. If you have a particularly beautiful view just outside, make a focal point out of the window or windows so that the focus of the room is on the great outdoors itself. Window seats are a seriously cozy way to do this, along with having seating face the windows, or leaving them completely bare or very simply adorned for an unobstructed view.
*Photos by Helen Norman
I hope you enjoyed these simple tips from bringing a natural vibe into your home! We’re giving away 5 copies of Habitat so to enter the contest, tell us one way you like to incorporate nature into your own home in the comment below. You can enter again by following @BHG on Twitter and tweeting with #BHGHabitatSweepstakes. Official rules here.