This week’s DIY is inspired by the lovely carnival party I get to host with my friend, Moorea. We decided that a carnival party could NOT be complete without some Light-up Glitter Marquee Letters! They are very simple to assemble and they turned out great! I think these glittery letters would be an adorable little decoration for Valentine’s day. Maybe spell out the word “LOVE”? Ok, enough chit-chat. Let’s make these letters.
- foam core
- x-acto knife
- mod podge
- string of lights
- letter printout (I recommend checking out fontsquirrel.com to find some good fonts)
- Print out your letters. Place a letter on your foam core and cut it out with your x-acto knife. Tip: make sure you’re x-acto knife blade is very sharp. This will make cutting your foam core so much easier. When your letters are all cut out, use a pencil to mark the holes for your lights. Poke out the holes (from front to back) using either a pencil or your x-acto knife.
- Let’s add the glitter! Brush on one layer of Mod Podge onto a letter. Sprinkle a coat of glitter onto the letter (front and sides). Let this dry completely (about 1 hour). Add another layer of Mod Podge and glitter and let dry. Add little brushes of Mod Podge/glitter to spots that need a glitter touch up and let dry. To seal the glitter, add one more layer of Mod Podge and let that dry.
- When all your letters are dry, use a pencil to poke through holes, the glitter and Mod Podge.
- Let’s put the letters and lights together! Push the tiny string light bulbs through the back of the letter holes. They should be snug enough to stay. Repeat this step for all the letters, plug it in and enjoy!
- Chelsey, The Paper Mama
P.S. These letters are not meant for long term use (don’t leave the lights plugged in unsupervised).