I have to say that my favorite neutral color is gray. Gray goes with just about everything. It modernizes clothing and spaces almost instantly. Below Zoe Saldana is wearing an ensemble complete of different gray tones. She looks fabulous! This same approach can be made in your home. Filling a space with different tones of gray’s can create a modern, fresh and surprisingly inviting space. Start with a light, airy gray and just build upon it. Here’s the look:
Products: 1. Sofa 2. Pillow 3. Basket 4. Coffee Table 5. Rug 6. Pillow For even more finds inspired by this palette, go here.
Color Inspiration: Shirt.
Use Reflection on your walls to create a soothing light backdrop.
Color Inspiration: Scarf and Skirt.
Online is the perfect cool gray to use in upholstery pieces and other accessories.
To create a dark, moody accent wall, use Rock Bottom. Also looks great in furniture pieces.
Bonus: Whites, blacks and accent colors all look great mixed with gray.
Outfit Photo via Fashion Trends. Paint via Sherwin Williams.
Below is a refreshing gray space. Do you decorate using gray?
Image: Planete Deco
Some say denim is and has been the new black. I totally agree! I could live in denim 7 days a week. When considering decorating with denim blue, it sometimes sounds too back country. It really is all about mixing it with the right colors. The girl below is wearing denim on denim but breaks it up with a super colorful, bohemian clutch. The same can be done with rugs, pillows and other accessories in a room. She also is sporting gold jewelry and a brown belt. Translate that into brass lighting and brown wood furniture pieces. This look can be modern, stylish and still feel classic. Here’s the look:
Products: 1. Pouf 2. Rug 3. Side Table 4. Pillow 5. Floor Lamp 6. Basket 7. Sofa 8. Chair For even more finds inspired by this palette, go here.
Color Inspiration: Shirt and Shorts.
The name of the paint is Denim so it’s got to be pretty true to it’s name, right? Try it on upholstered furniture pieces and accessories.
Color Inspiration: Bag
Ablaze is a perfect orange/red to incorporate in art, fabrics and rugs.
Color Inspiration: Bag.
Try minty Waterfall in fabrics, pillows, upholstered pieces and or window treatments.
Bonus: Ski Slope will look picture perfect on the walls.
Outfit Photo via Pop Sugar. Paint via Sherwin Williams.
We see below a scandinavian inspired living space with a pop of denim in sofa and a little orangy red and mint in the wallpaper. What are your thoughts on this color palette?
Room image via Andra Bilder.
This beautiful living room starts with a neutral base (sofa, carpet, walls, and curtains), then layers on texture, gorgeous brass, and pops of bold color. You can get a similar look with the items below. Most are affordable (some very much so), and some need a little DIY, but there are a few splurges in there too. They’re worth it.
- Vivan Curtains, IKEA (only $10/pair!)
- Carved Wood Side Tables*, Cost Plus World Market and West Elm (just paint them white)
- Textured Blue Siri Vases, Room and Board
- Bertoia Diamon Lounge Chair, Design Within Reach (sew a custom seat pad in teal for it)
- Vittsjö Shelving, IKEA (brass spray paint will do wonders)
- Vittsjö Nesting Tables, IKEA (spray these brass too, or go for a beautiful vintage set, like these)
- Lotus Flower Table Lamp, Pottery Barn
- Hot Pink Bellini Pillow, Madeline Weinrib
- Lucy Azure Blue Chair, Target
*edit: I stumbled across this table, already white and an even better match!
– Nicole Balch, Making it Lovely
What’s hot now:
I am totally in love with the brass movement that we’ve been seeing lately. It’s mostly in lighting, hardware and frames. Adding brass and gold in a modern space can immediately create a chic look. These brass cord lights seen on The Brick House are perfectly stylish for any space.
1. Color! I’m predicating that we are going to embrace more color this year. Bright and bold as well as soft and serene. Also neon, which has been seen here and there, will come back around, I hope!
Via Design Files.
2. Along with the color movement will be the black and white revival. People are wanting clean, serene spaces and there is nothing that says clean like a minimalist black and white space.
Via A Merry Mishap.
- Trend I’d Lose: Damask and Chevron. Both have been over used and over played.
- Blog I’m Loving: Sfgirlbybay has always been a fave of mine. Victoria gets better and better and never loses inspiration.
- Person I’m Following: Zooey Deschanel is a doll face.
- Show I’m Watching: I weep every time I watch Parenthood but I still just can’t get enough of it!
- Store I’m Shopping: I mostly shop online but when I’m out and about, I visit Anthropologie for candles and homeware. I also shop some of our local consignment and thrift shops.
- Color I’m Coveting: Charcoal grey.
- Accessories I’m Adding: For myself, it’s all about vintage watches. For my home, I’ve been obsessed with brass book ends.
-Kirsten, Simply Grove