Written on January 25, 2013 at 8:30 am , by Style Spotter Editor
Hi everyone, Karman Hotchkiss, here! About a month ago, I was replacing a lightbulb in myback hallway at home. For the first time in about a decade, I really looked at the sconce I was putting the bulb into. And I thought, ‘”That’s the ugliest light fixture I’ve ever seen!” I instantly realized it was (past) time for a little lighting update.
The good news: There are more cool, trendy, interesting light fixtures than ever before. And replacing one requires only minimal DIY skills. In my research for that replacement sconce, I looked at tons of new fixtures and compiled this list of 5 hot trends in lighting.
If you’re ready to shed a little new light (har-har) on your fixtures, here are 5 trends to think about:
1. Colorful. Lights shouldn’t have to blend into the background. Use one to add a punch of color, with the shade or with the fixture itself.
2. Overscale. Pick a light that’s big. Really big.
3. Industrial/scientific. Exposed bulbs, “cage” designs, raw materials … They all evoke the sense that you just snagged your light from a warehouse or laboratory.
4. Organic. Shapes and materials inspired by nature are sure to add a layer of texture to your decor.
5. Beads and baubles. Crystals are nothing new to light fixtures. But the latest incarnation uses strings of beads or individual bubble-like balls.
Which of these ideas would work best in your home? Find a trend (or two!) you like and update a fixture today.
Written on November 12, 2012 at 8:45 am , by Michael Wurm, Jr.
Here’s the thing, I have a tiny obsession with light fixtures. Whether it is a table lamp, a pendant fixture, or a gorgeous chandelier, I believe that the right lighting can make or break a room. I even have a Pinterest board dedicated to light fixtures. I recently came across these two images from BHG.com while searching for some inspiration for my own dining room. I think both of these fixtures are perfect for their particular spaces. They have major wow factor which creates a dynamic, unique, and memorable look. I’m so happy to see the emerging trend of interesting, and even a bit wacky, chandeliers and pendant lights.
With this inspiration in my back pocket, I decided to do a little digging and found twelve wow-factor-worthy light fixtures that will certainly transform any space into a beautifully designed room. Go bold or go home, right? Click here to get the full list of products shown below.
Which one of these lights is your favorite? What other funky fixtures are you loving?
Michael Wurm, Jr. – Inspired by Charm