The master bedroom is probably the most ignored room in my house when it comes to style. In our old house, the master bedroom was upstairs with all of the kids’ rooms, so aside from the hours we spent sleeping and getting ready for the day, we really weren’t up there much. But in the Dream House, the master bedroom is on the main floor (and oh my gosh, I LOVE IT!), so I actually spend quite a bit of time in there. Since my office in the basement is still a work in progress, when I have time to work, I go to my bedroom. When I have phone calls or video conferences, I go to my bedroom. If I just need a second to relax, I go to my bedroom. So it has started to occur to me that my bedroom is pretty hideous and that it is in dire need of some TLC.
I’ve been really enamored of navy bedrooms lately. I know our walls are gray, which I don’t plan on changing because I love them, but I think gray and navy make a swell color combination. Here are just a few of the bedrooms that have had me swooning over navy lately…
photo from House and Home
I love the brass sun burst mirror paired with the navy walls in the photo. I’ve discovered during my extensive navy bedroom research that at least 75% of navy bedrooms contain at least one star burst or sun burst mirror. I’ve already started looking for mine in preparation.
photo from West Elm
As much as I love the navy walls, I don’t plan on painting my bedroom blue. I spent a lot of time choosing that beautiful gray paint, and I’m gonna keep it! This bedroom is probably more the direction our master bedroom will take, with gray walls and dark blue accents. I love the color combination of dark navy and foggy gray.
photo from Pottery Barn
Here’s another beautiful room with lighter walls and rich navy accents. I love how the dark blue rug under the bed helps anchor the room, and really highlights those blues.
photo from Steven Ford Interiors on Houzz.com
I think this bedroom is so beautiful. The walls are navy and the bedding is navy, yet the room feels light and airy and open. Note to self: achieve this in the Dream House master bedroom!
photo from Lesley Graham
photo from Hello Lidy
These two beautiful bedrooms belong to my friends Lesley Graham and Lidy Dipert. While the walls in both of these rooms are black, they have the same dark wall/bright room effect as the navy rooms that I love.
What do you think of this trend in navy bedrooms? Do you love it as much as I do?
What’s hot now:
I am totally in love with the brass movement that we’ve been seeing lately. It’s mostly in lighting, hardware and frames. Adding brass and gold in a modern space can immediately create a chic look. These brass cord lights seen on The Brick House are perfectly stylish for any space.
1. Color! I’m predicating that we are going to embrace more color this year. Bright and bold as well as soft and serene. Also neon, which has been seen here and there, will come back around, I hope!
Via Design Files.
2. Along with the color movement will be the black and white revival. People are wanting clean, serene spaces and there is nothing that says clean like a minimalist black and white space.
Via A Merry Mishap.
- Trend I’d Lose: Damask and Chevron. Both have been over used and over played.
- Blog I’m Loving: Sfgirlbybay has always been a fave of mine. Victoria gets better and better and never loses inspiration.
- Person I’m Following: Zooey Deschanel is a doll face.
- Show I’m Watching: I weep every time I watch Parenthood but I still just can’t get enough of it!
- Store I’m Shopping: I mostly shop online but when I’m out and about, I visit Anthropologie for candles and homeware. I also shop some of our local consignment and thrift shops.
- Color I’m Coveting: Charcoal grey.
- Accessories I’m Adding: For myself, it’s all about vintage watches. For my home, I’ve been obsessed with brass book ends.
-Kirsten, Simply Grove
When putting together this look inspired by a gorgeous Stockholm gal, I realized that this lovely palette could be diagnosed as laid back Americana or high end classic. Either or, I love this mix of denim blue with the jet black. Of course who doesn’t love a little red splattered in their space! And that dark navy blue, which was included as a bonus color? My breath right now. Here’s the look:
Color Inspiration: Scarf.
On the walls: Reflection (SW 7661) can be noted as a pretty cashmere grey.
Color Inspiration: Jacket.
Use Pitch Black (No. 256) for an upholstered piece or even ceramics and picture frames.
Color Inspiration: Jeans.
Respite (SW 6514) is a great color to introduce in fabrics and art. Also you could paint the inside of shelving using this color.
Color Inspiration: Shoes.
What to do with Real Red (SW 6868)? Include it in pillows, books or one simple vase.
Color Inspiration: Bonus.
I included Drawing Room Blue (No. 253) for a little drama. Paint an accent wall or upholster a chair in this deep color.