Over the past couple weeks, I’ve been busy switching things around in my home to welcome autumn. I love the change of seasons as it always gives me an excuse to reassess my spaces, see how things are looking and functioning, and tweak details not only for the season, but to make my home more visually satisfying and user friendly. To me, a room is never complete. I spend a lot of time in my home, so I’m always adjusting and moving things around to achieve an even more beautiful look.
Last week on my blog, I shared a lot of these changes in my Fall Home Tour. While I didn’t add a great deal of “fall decor,” I pulled in plenty of natural elements, shiny metallics, and warm colors to dress my space for the season. I’ve shared resources on my blog for some of my accessories, and I thought it would be fun to do the same thing here on Style Spotters.
As you can see below, I’ve gathered together several key pieces that really helped my space come alive this season. In addition to products, I included a few DIY projects. Part of seasonal decorating is about using the things you already have in a different way – tucking fall leaves in your favorite vase, painting something a different color, etc.
I hope you enjoy this collection and find it helpful in dressing your own space for fall.
Michael Wurm, Jr – Inspired by Charm
TREND: Gold and Brass
About four years ago, I wanted nothing to do with gold or brass. Nothing. I’m pretty sure I considered gold to be the antithesis of decorating in the 21st centtury. Fast forward to today, and honestly, I can’t get enough. From candlesticks to vases to flatware, there is a touch of brass and gold in every room of my house. Even when it comes to fashion, I’ve found myself drawn to gold accessories rather than my usual silver.
I’m not sure how long this enthusiasm for gold will last, but while it’s here I’m certainly enjoying it. As you can see from the collection of photos from my house, there is no such thing as enough. Over the past year, though, I’ve learned that some folks still haven’t developed an appreciation for gold / brass. Today, I thought I would try to convince you of the appeal of these magical metals.
Let me explain my love for gold and brass. First, they go so well with so many (if not all) design styles. Be it traditional, modern, or eclectic, gold always works. Take a close look at your favorite design magazines. I’m sure you’ll see gold pop up. Secondly, over the past year (along with my love for gold), I’ve developed a preference for more modern, clean, and simplified design. Incorporating gold makes modern style a little warmer and richer. It has a fabulous way of adding character, depth, and personality. Plus, despite it’s current popularity, gold and brass are timeless. Their trendiness may come and go, but they are classic in the best sense of the word.
Have I convinced you yet? If not, it’s okay. The great part about decorating is if you prefer silver, oil-rubbed bronze, or copper when styling your space, then go for it. However, if you are looking for some unique gold or brass pieces to add a little sparkle to your space, these are a few of my favorites.
As always, happy decorating, friends!
Michael Wurm, Jr. – Inspired by Charm
What’s hot now:
I am totally in love with the brass movement that we’ve been seeing lately. It’s mostly in lighting, hardware and frames. Adding brass and gold in a modern space can immediately create a chic look. These brass cord lights seen on The Brick House are perfectly stylish for any space.
1. Color! I’m predicating that we are going to embrace more color this year. Bright and bold as well as soft and serene. Also neon, which has been seen here and there, will come back around, I hope!
Via Design Files.
2. Along with the color movement will be the black and white revival. People are wanting clean, serene spaces and there is nothing that says clean like a minimalist black and white space.
Via A Merry Mishap.
- Trend I’d Lose: Damask and Chevron. Both have been over used and over played.
- Blog I’m Loving: Sfgirlbybay has always been a fave of mine. Victoria gets better and better and never loses inspiration.
- Person I’m Following: Zooey Deschanel is a doll face.
- Show I’m Watching: I weep every time I watch Parenthood but I still just can’t get enough of it!
- Store I’m Shopping: I mostly shop online but when I’m out and about, I visit Anthropologie for candles and homeware. I also shop some of our local consignment and thrift shops.
- Color I’m Coveting: Charcoal grey.
- Accessories I’m Adding: For myself, it’s all about vintage watches. For my home, I’ve been obsessed with brass book ends.
-Kirsten, Simply Grove