Ok, I know there are plenty of fancy pre-made trellises out there, but there just weren’t any that I liked for the price I wanted to pay. I needed something VERY long and made from good quality wood (so it lasts longer than one summer). I wasn’t willing to spend a ton of money and that’s why we made our own! It takes just a little bit of time, but it’s worth it. I’m loving how this garden piece turned out and I can’t wait to start growing out plants on it. Want to make one for your home? You can follow my directions below. Just adjust the dimensions to fit the size you need.
- 3 six foot long by two inch wide cedar
- 3 six feet by one inch wide cedar pieces
- 6 three feet by one inch wide cedar pieces
- 6 four feet by one inch wide cedar pieces
- a box of wood nails
- 2 cans of white primer spray paint
- 2 cans of white outdoor spray paint
- optional: 1 can of colorful spray paint
- Let’s build this trellis! If needed, cut your wood to the sizes you need. We purchased all of our pieces at the sizes we needed. The sizes will be completely up to you. We have a couple of raspberry plants we are using this trellis for, so we needed it to be a little bit larger than normal. It’s 6.5 feet wide. If you don’t need something that crazy wide, just skip the 3rd six foot long by two inch wide cedar piece, or make your horizontal pieces shorter (our horizontal pieces we’re 4 feet long).
- Let’s prep the main frame for the trellis:
- Above you’ll see the frame outlined in 3 different colors.
- Evenly space the 3 six foot long by one inch wide pieces (green) horizontally on the ground (ours are spaced 12 inches).
- Place the 3 six foot long by two inch wide cedar pieces (pink) vertically on TOP of the horizontal green pieces. They should be spaced just under three feet from the center piece (or the spacing and sizing can change based on how wide you’d like your trellis). Use your wood nails to attach the pink pieces to the green pieces.
- Evenly space the three feet long by one inch wide pieces (yellow) vertically over the green pieces. Use your wood nails to attach the yellow pieces to the green pieces.
- Chelsey, The Paper Mama