Hi there! My name is Erin Gates, and I am an interior and fashion stylist who blogs at Elements of Style. I am always asked what my favorite homes accessories are and when given time to ponder it, I realized I really do have a small arsenal of never-fail, works with ANY style of décor items I use time and time again! Adding in something with texture of unexpected flair can really dial up the interest in your space. So maybe try one or two of these out in your own home and see what a difference a tiny change can make.
1) Mongolian Lamb Pillows- If I have a dime for every time I used one of these in a project, I’d be living large! There is no better way to add texture and a little attitude to a sofa or bed than with a Mongolian lamb pillow! Paired with a bold print it’s so much more enticing than a flat solid, and when used with other monochromatic items it keeps a vignette from falling flat!
2) Gold Sculptural Objects- Specifically, I love this Jonathan Adler Bird Bowl. Looks great on a bookshelf, on a coffee table, by the bed or in the bathroom as a catchall for jewelry and bobby pins. A little gilded accent here and there really adds some glamour and spunk to an otherwise boring plane. For a budget friendly option, any affordable little object can be spray painted gold for the same effect- it makes collections of smaller objects look special too!
3) Lucite trays- A little Lucite never killed anyone, not even my husband, who claims to HATE it. It’s clear, modern and clashes with nothing! Trays are such a great way to unify a bunch of small objects- liquor bottles on a bar, books and remotes on a coffee table or keys and mail on a console.
4) Ceramic Gourd Lamps- Robert Abbey makes a WONDERFUL gourd lamp in different shapes and sizes that really works in ANY space (I dare you to find one in which it doesn’t!) I have used countless pairs of these in bedrooms, living room, dining rooms, nurseries… you name it! People have been shocked how clean and modern a statement they make and how well they compliment any décor.
5) Sunburst Mirrors- Some designers may claim this has gone the way of the pashmina shawl- overused and overexposed. I disagree whole-heartedly. I absolutely LOVE the way the sunburst looks on a wall, especially above a bed or a sofa. They are the perfect thing to layer over busy wallpaper but also can be a statement when left to their own devices. Just because something is popular doe not mean it’s bad.
Source: Zinc Door
Add one (or all!) of these items to your home for amped-up style. Also be sure to check out my former home featured in the May issue of Better Homes and Gardens!
-Erin Gates of Elements of Style
23 Responses to “ Erin Gates: Five No-Fail Home Accessories ”