Hi everyone, Karman Hotchkiss, here! About a month ago, I was replacing a lightbulb in myback hallway at home. For the first time in about a decade, I really looked at the sconce I was putting the bulb into. And I thought, ‘”That’s the ugliest light fixture I’ve ever seen!” I instantly realized it was (past) time for a little lighting update.
The good news: There are more cool, trendy, interesting light fixtures than ever before. And replacing one requires only minimal DIY skills. In my research for that replacement sconce, I looked at tons of new fixtures and compiled this list of 5 hot trends in lighting.
If you’re ready to shed a little new light (har-har) on your fixtures, here are 5 trends to think about:
1. Colorful. Lights shouldn’t have to blend into the background. Use one to add a punch of color, with the shade or with the fixture itself.
2. Overscale. Pick a light that’s big. Really big.
3. Industrial/scientific. Exposed bulbs, “cage” designs, raw materials … They all evoke the sense that you just snagged your light from a warehouse or laboratory.
4. Organic. Shapes and materials inspired by nature are sure to add a layer of texture to your decor.
5. Beads and baubles. Crystals are nothing new to light fixtures. But the latest incarnation uses strings of beads or individual bubble-like balls.
Which of these ideas would work best in your home? Find a trend (or two!) you like and update a fixture today.
2 Responses to “ 5 Hot Lighting Trends ”