I’m already seeing the leaves turn; the streets are getting covered by speckles of orange, red, and brown leaves. That means it’s just about time for fall, with that comes my need to get cozy with a cup of coffee and a good movie. It’s getting chilly at night and our windows aren’t open as much as they were on the warm summer evenings. It can get a little stuffy in our 90-year-old home, and I wanted to add some freshness to my cozy atmosphere.
Bring in the DIY air freshener. Yes, I could have purchased a plugin for this, or sprayed freshener every thirty minutes that. Not for me. I like to make things a little more exciting and try it myself (ok, it’s not that exciting… well, for me it is). What you need for this super fresh project:
- Baking Soda
- Essential Oil (I chose a little cinnamon and apple blend… hello fall)
- A jar with lid ring (I found my jar at a thrift store)
- Cheesecloth (or any loosely woven cloth)
- 5 minutes of time
Here are the easiest DIY directions I’ve ever written:
- Using your clean/dried jar, fill the baking soda up to about a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.
- Add 8 to 12 drops of essential oil onto your baking soda.
- Cut your cheesecloth to about a 1/2 inch wider than the lid (you want the lid to completely cover the cheesecloth, when it’s screwed on).
- Put on the cheesecloth and lid. Maybe add a bit of decoration? Optional of course. NOTE: this air freshener should be kept out of reach of small children and animals. I’ve placed my jar where my daughter and cats cannot reach.
That’s it! You now have a homemade air freshener. Baking soda really is fantastic, right?
Happy Thursday to all of you!
- Chelsey, The Paper Mama
12 Responses to “ DIY-ify: Homemade air freshener! ”