Written on June 19, 2012 at 8:00 am , by BHG Guest Blogger
Howdy Better Homes & Gardens style spotters! I’m Stephanie from Turtle Soup Daily, recently I was honored to win the grand prize in BHG Pin & Win contest. The past couple of weeks I’ve been over-the-moon giddy and excited about the win! As I was pinning images, I just thought it was a fun contest, nothing that I could actually ever win. And after checking out the other entrants boards and fellow winners, I’m even more humbled.
BHG has asked me to share some must-haves in my home with you. I’m a Mid Century Modern girl at heart, something about the openness with the simple, organic lines makes my heart go pitter-patter. I’m also a big fan of bright, colorful accents, which shows through in nearly all of the images from bhg.com that I pinned for the contest. It’s my personal style mantra to keep your big ticket items neutral, but add splashes of color with accessories. This keeps costs lower as trends and your style preferences change.
- Bright Patterned Throw Pillow: Throw pillows are the perfect accent to make any room cozier and even better when they’re bright and cheerful! This lively lime green pillow from The Marimekko Shop at Crate & Barrel speaks to my childhood in the Midwest. Cows may be one of the loveliest of creatures, no? Marimekko Iltavilli 20″ Pillow, Crate & Barrel, $49
- Ceramic Animal: White ceramic animals have been a growing trend for several years. I love this mid-century inspired turtle (my namesake!) box from Jonathan Adler. Turtle Box, Jonathan Adler, $110
- Colorful serving pieces: I have been eying these mini latte bowls from Anthropologie for the longest time. A couple of weeks ago I finally decided to make the purchase for my birthday. I bought one in every color and I’m so happy I did! The color brings a perfect amount of vibrancy to any dinner party, whether you’re serving salsa, fruit, or dessert. Mini Latte Bowls, Anthropologie, $20
- Plant Life: One of the first things I bought for my first apartment after college graduation was a big, beautiful plant. Plants bring so much life and texture to the room, it’s my ultimate go-to accessory. Throughout the years I’ve learned my plants thrive from neglect, an added benefit for sure! I’d bet they be even more happy in this pretty plant stand from Pad. Pod Version 1.0, Pad, $164
- Flowers: I love having fresh-cut flowers in my home and while I occasionally splurge and buy a bouquet for myself, it’s not something I can afford all of the time. Craspedia, or billy buttons as they’re commonly referred to, are the perfect substitute for fresh. Their dried blooms will last years without fading and you’ll always be able to have beautiful flowers in your home. Craspedia Cluster, Flores Del Sol Etsy Shop, $55
- Local Art Piece: It seems I have art pieces covering every wall in my apartment, but I always seem to find room for more. Buying originals or prints from local artists is important to me and helps me celebrate and remember the places I’ve lived or visited. This particular print is of my very favorite view in Kansas City that I discovered when exploring the city on my bike by local artist, Allan Chow. After Hannibal Bridge, Allan Chow Etsy Shop, $25
- Over-sized Letters: As a graphic designer I’m drawn to good typography. In fact I have over-sized letters all over my home because I find such beauty in the positive and negative shapes that letters make. These metal letters from Anthropologie are the perfect accent to monogram any home — whether you’re a type-nerd or not! Zinc Letters, Anthropologie, $18
- Clock: I stopped wearing watches years ago in lieu of checking my phone (OK, OK, I just never got around to replacing the batteries…), having this retro schoolhouse clock on my walls would hopefully help me stay on time and on task. On Time Wall Clock, Urban Outfitters, $19
- Additional seating: It’s always great to have a couple additional seating options when guests come over. Or put a fun serving tray on top as an additional side table for a multifunctional piece. This bright blue knitted pouf fits just the ticket. Knitted Pool Pouf, CB2, $79.95
- Radio & iPod Dock: What’s a home without music? Listen to great audio with this bright yellow iPod dock from Tivoli. Tivoli Audio Model One, Room & Board, $179.99
Thanks for letting me share some of my colorful inspiration with you. Check out my winning Pinterest board for more lovely color and style inspiration.
4 Responses to “10 Must-Have Colorful Accessories”