Look Natural: The Minimalist’s Guide to Makeup
"Minimalist makeup should take a minimal amount of time," says beauty expert Susan Giordano. "But a monochromatic look still needs a little bit of color to it." Here's how to achieve an effortless, chic nude look for all skin tones.
Everything In This Slideshow
1 of 7
Step 1Shop more makeup now!
Squirt a pea-size amount of sheer liquid foundation onto the back of your hand. Swirl a foundation brush into the foundation and then blend it all over your face to even out your skin tone.
- For Fair Skin: Shiseido Sheer and Perfect Foundation SPF 18 in Natural Light Ivory ($35)
- For Medium Skin: By Terry Sheer Expert Foundation in Intense Beige ($65)
- For Dark Skin: NARS Sheer Matte Foundation in Tortuga ($44)
2 of 7
Take your lipstick and place a dot on each cheek. Blend the lipstick into the apples of your cheeks with your fingers.
- For Fair Skin: Jouer Lip Sheer in Maui ($22)
- For Medium Skin: Boots No7 Sheer Temptation Lipstick in Lovely ($9.99)
- For Dark Skin: IMAN Luxury Moisturizing Lipstick in Wild Thing ($10)
3 of 7
Work a black or brown eye pencil into the upper lash line, as close to the lashes as possible, and smudge with a cotton swab. Next, define your lower lash line by gently smudging the same pencil on the outer two-thirds of the eye. Swipe one (and only one!) coat of black mascara onto lashes.
4 of 7
Groom brows with a brow brush, and use a brow pencil to fill in any sparse spaces. Use small quick strokes that mimic brow hairs. Try the Mally Beauty Brow Brush Combo ($15).
5 of 7
Pat the same lipstick you used on your cheeks onto lips with your finger to create a soft stain.
6 of 7
Finish the look by using concealer where necessary -- under your eyes, around nostrils, or anywhere you have a blemish to cover.
- For Fair Skin: Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer in Ivory ($24)
- For Medium Skin: Stila Perfecting Concealer in E ($23)
- For Dark Skin: Dermablend Quick-Fix Concealer with SPF 30 in Deep ($23)
Next Slideshow The Best Makeup for Women Over 50
The Best Makeup for Women Over 50Want to look younger instantly? Start by making some easy tweaks to your cosmetic bag. Find out why your current look might be aging you. Then, follow our easy, age-defying makeup tutorials to help you achieve more youthful, glowing skin, brighter eyes, and fuller lips.Begin Slideshow »