How to Dress for Your Body Type: The Cocktail Ring
Do you have less of a defined middle and need to create a waistline or have trouble finding things that fit your fuller bust? Jacqui Stafford, celebrity style expert and author of The Wow Factor: Insider Style Secrets for Every Body and Every Budget, calls your shape the "cocktail ring."
The key is to find figure-flattering pieces that fake a waistline where there isn't one, and help create a longer, leaner, slimmer silhouette overall. First, play up the best parts of your body -- like your stunning décolleté, shapely legs, and slender ankles. Toss the frumpy flats and baggy, oversize pants -- those are doing nothing for your shape. Baggier is not always better.
- Ruching, gathering, and colorblocking are your best friends. Anything that's ingeniously draped across your torso will magically melt away a heavier midsection, and give the illusion of a slim waistline where there isn't one.
- A tailored, wider-leg pant (instead of a skinny pant) creates one long, slender line up and down. Look for side seams that are angled slightly toward the front of your leg (rather than at the sides) to help create an even leaner look.
- A wrap sweater works brilliantly in a myriad of ways for you; wear it open just like you would a cardigan, or cross-wrapped around the body to visually shave inches off your tummy.
- Go for structured jackets instead of boxy ones, and chunkier-heeled shoes instead of skinny stilettos; which help balance out a heavier top half.
- Use colorblocking to your advantage; anything that's lighter in the middle than at the sides will help draw focus toward the center slither of your body to help make you look skinnier.
- Invest in the best, most supportive bra you can afford. (What you wear underneath is just as important as what you wear on top.)
- Short, boxy jackets which serve only to make you look...boxier
- Flimsy fabrics that cling to -- and overemphasize -- every bulge and bump
- Cropped pants with pleats, ruffles, or hip-widening side pockets
- Skinny spaghetti straps that overemphasize your wider frame
The Best Dress for Your Shape
A colorful ruched dress hides and enhances in all the right places.
The Best Casual Outfit for Your Shape
Look for longer-length, draped sweaters that skim over your torso, and pair with dark-wash, slim-leg modern bootcut jeans.