How to Dress for Your Body Type: The Sunglasses
Do you have fairly balanced shoulders and hips? Do you like to show off your waistline and generally fit into the same size on your top and bottom? Jacqui Stafford, celebrity style expert and author of The Wow Factor: Insider Style Secrets for Every Body and Every Budget, calls your shape the "sunglasses."
You've got a fairly balanced top half, a defined waistline and womanly hips. Sounds good, right? But the challenge is to showcase your slender waistline without making your torso look short. (A few false moves, and you can easily end up making yourself look heavier.) It's wonderful to have a waistline like yours, but the key is to make sure you've got the perfect symmetry above and below.
The trick: Highlight your curves, but make sure everything looks classy and sophisticated. Look for body-skimming dresses and tops rather than loose-fitting, oversize pieces that might overwhelm your shape and hide your fabulous figure.
- Belted styles draw attention to the narrowness of your waist and call out your hourglass figure. It's hard to find something more flattering than a belted dress -- it's ideal to make your body shape look pulled together and polished all in one go.
- Keep the length of the dresses just to the knee -- it'll help make you look taller.
- Fitted dresses and tops that skim over your body are more flattering than baggy, shapeless pieces that make you look heavier.
- Your ultra-feminine body shape can get away with menswear-inspired jackets, which look less masculine on your fabulous, super-curvy figure.
- Boxy, square-looking pieces that hide your waistline
- Overtly sexy tops: less skin on display is always classier
- Loose fitting pants that drown your bottom half
- Billowing maxi skirts that camouflage your curves
The Best Dress for Your Shape
A straight, figure-hugging dress lets your shape shine.
The Best Casual Outfit for Your Shape
A belted sundress will help showcase your curves and highlight your waistline. If you go for anything above the knee, wear with flats instead of heels to keep the look sophisticated yet youthful.