Bathroom Planning Guideline 5: Single Lavatory Placement
Recommended: The distance from the centerline of the lavatory to the sidewall/tall obstacle should be at least 20 inches.
- The minimum distance from the centerline of the lavatory to a wall is 15 inches.
- The minimum distance between a wall and the edge of a freestanding or wall-hung lavatory is 4 inches.
Bathroom Planning Guideline 6: Double Lavatory Placement
Recommended: The distance between the centerlines of two lavatories should be at least 36 inches.
- The minimum distance between the centerlines of two lavatories should be at least 30 inches.
- The minimum distance between the edges of two freestanding or wall-hung lavatories is 4 inches.
Bathroom Planning Guideline 7: Lavatory/Vanity Height
Recommended: The height for a lavatory varies between 32-43 inches to fit the user.
Bathroom Planning Guideline 8: Countertop Edges
Recommended: Specify clipped or round corners rather than sharp edges on all counters.
Bathroom Planning Guideline 9: Shower Size
Recommended: The interior shower size is at least 36x36 inches.
Code Requirement: The minimum interior shower size is 30x30 inches or 900 square inches, in which a disc of 30 inches in diameter must fit.
Bathroom Planning Guideline 10: Tub/Shower Controls
- The shower controls should be accessible from both inside and outside the shower spray and be located between 38 to 48 inches above the floor, depending on user's height.
- The tub controls should be accessible from both inside and outside the tub and be located between the rim of the bathtub and 33 inches above the floor.
Continued on page 3: Recommended Bathroom Design Guidelines 11-15