Try this simple recipe for polenta, it takes just a few minutes to prepare.
1. Bring the 3 cups water to boiling in a 2-quart saucepan. Meanwhile, combine cornmeal, cold water, and 1 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Slowly add the cornmeal mixture to the boiling water, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture returns to boiling. Reduce heat to very low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve immediately or cover and keep warm up to 30 minutes before serving. Makes 4 main-dish or 8 side-dish servings.
2. For Sliced Polenta: Prepare Polenta as directed above. Pour into a greased 8x4x2-inch loaf pan. Cool 1 hour. Cover and chill several hours or until firm. Polenta may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before serving. To serve, remove polenta from pan or package and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
3. To bake, place slices in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. Bake, covered, in a 400 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until heated through.
4. To fry, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet or on a griddle over medium heat. Add polenta slices and cook about 6 minutes or until golden brown, turning once during cooking time.
5. To toast, lightly brush slices with olive oil and arrange on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Place under broiler, 4 to 5 inches away from the heat source, for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and crisp.