Could rotten tree roots be causing my mushroom problem?
I am having a problem with mushrooms--nasty slimy brown ones--in my lawn. I've put down a fungicide twice and it seems to help a little, but it doesn't solve the problem. I've handpicked them, raked them, and mowed them. I think one of the roots from my tree is rotten, and someone told me that it might be the source of the mushroom problem. Please help! I'll try anything.
Submitted by BHGPhotoContest

Mushrooms usually develop in cool, wet conditions. They generally disappear once dry weather returns. Your friend is right; mushrooms derive their energy from decaying organic matter. A rotten tree root could be the source. There’s no chemical way to get rid of mushrooms. If you dislike their appearance, keep breaking them off with a rake and hope that dry conditions develop soon. The mushrooms themselves won’t cause harm to your lawn, unless they grow densely enough to shade it.

Answered by BHGgardenEditors