Ask Better Homes & Gardens

Experts and BHG readers answer.

Bug Damage to Tree

I have a large tree in my backyard that hasn't been cared for for quite a while. There is a giant gouge from the ground up to about 2/2 & 1/2 feet from the ground. It is quite wide at the bottom and narrows at the top. We got Carpenter Ants and had it treated, then we got Borrowing Bees and had it treated again. I want to fill the giant gap, but don't know what I should fill it with. Epoxy or plaster might cause a chemical reaction and cause more damage; can you help?
Submitted by BHGPhotoContest

Sadly, filling a tree gap such as the one you describe is not recommended mainly because it doesn't help the tree. You don't say what kind of tree this is or how old it is, but it sounds like it's an older specimen that might be near the end of its lifespan. Once a tree, of any species, has a giant gap like this, there's not much you can do to really save it."

Community Answers


Answer this Question

Enter an Answer to this Question

500 characters left