Experts and BHG readers answer.
How can I make food taste great while reducing my sodium intake?
Learn to use herbs and spices to perk up the flavors of your favorite foods. Here are some examples:
- BEEF—bay leaf, marjoram, nutmeg, onion, pepper, sage, thyme
- CHICKEN—ginger, oregano, poultry seasoning, rosemary, sage, tarragon, thyme
- PORK—garlic, onion, sage, pepper, oregano
- CARROTS—cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg
- CORN— cumin, curry powder, paprika, parsley
- GREEN BEANS—dill, lemon juice, marjoram, oregano, parsley
- PEAS—ginger, onion, sage
- POTATOES—dill, garlic, onion, paprika, sage
Avoid pricking meats while cooking—meats contain natural salts that will seep out when pricked or turned with a fork. Balsamic vinegar is a wonderful flavor booster for soups and stews—just a few flavorful drops will do it!