Experts and BHG readers answer.
What is a good recipe for shrimp chowder?
Here you go, enjoy!
Creamy Shrimp & Tomato Chowder
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
- 8 oz. medium peeled cooked shrimp
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup water
- Ground Black Pepper
- Slivered fresh basil
- Focaccia wedges
1. In a large saucepan cook celery and onion in hot oil just until tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Add shrimp, whipping cream, and water. Cook over medium heat just until hot. Season to taste with pepper.
2. Ladle chowder into bowls; top with basil Serve with focaccia wedges. Serves 4 (1-1/2-cup servings).
Mushroom, Leek, and Seafood Chowder
- 2 ounces thinly sliced pancetta or bacon (2 slices), chopped
- 3 cups sliced fresh shiitake or other mushrooms
- 3 leeks, thinly sliced (white parts only)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium potatoes, chopped
- 2 141/2-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined shrimp
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen bay scallops
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half or light cream
- Lemon slices (optional)
- Fresh thyme (optional)
Cook pancetta or bacon in a 4-quart Dutch oven till browned. Remove with a slotted spoon, reserving drippings in pan. Drain on paper towels; cover and chill. Add mushrooms, leeks, and garlic to the Dutch oven; cook and stir about 3 minutes or till mushrooms and leeks are tender.
Carefully add potatoes, broth, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or till potatoes are tender. Add shredded carrot.
To serve, thaw shrimp and scallops, if frozen. Stir together melted margarine and flour. Add flour mixture and half-and-half to Dutch oven. Cook and stir over medium heat till bubbly. Add shrimp, scallops, and pancetta. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes more or till shrimp are pink and scallops are opaque. Ladle into bowls. If desired, garnish with lemon slices and/or thyme.