Experts and BHG readers answer.
What is a good recipe for five bean salad?
We're one bean short, but it's still a delicious recipe. Try it out!
Sweet and Tangy Four-Bean Salad
- 8 oz. fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3/4 cups cider vinegar
- 2/3 cups tomato juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp. dry red wine or apple juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1/2 tsp.)
- 1 12-oz. pkg. frozen shelled sweet soybeans (edamame), thawed
- 1 14.5-oz. can cut wax beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
- 4 large carrots, coarsely shredded
1. In large saucepan cook green beans in boiling lightly salted water for 10 minutes or just until tender; drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
2. In extra-large bowl combine vinegar, tomato juice, oil, wine, sugar, Worcestershire, mustard and garlic. Stir in beans, green onion, and carrot. Refrigerate, covered, 4 to 48 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon. Makes 12 (about 1-cup) servings.
Make-Ahead:Assemble and refrigerate 4 to 48 hours. The fresh green beans will lose some color as they marinate in the dressing. For brightly colored green beans cook and chill as directed, but do not add to salad. Cover and refrigerate separately, then toss in with the salad just before serving.
- Servings Per Recipe 12 (1 cup) servings
- Calories 174,
- Total Fat (g) 6,
- Saturated Fat (g) 1,
- Sodium (mg) 231,
- Carbohydrate (g) 24,
- Fiber (g) 6,
- Protein (g) 7,
- Vitamin C (DV%) 24,
- Calcium (DV%) 8,
- Iron (DV%) 11,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet